SQL Server

azizrasul

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have been an MS Access programmer for several years. I realise that the demand of Access is going down while SQL server is going up. However I enjoy using Access and loathe to leave it.

I currently use the query builder within Access to create my queries.

If I was to learn SQL, can I still use Access as a front end and use SQL server to run my queries? In other words do Access and SQL Server integrate together?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi Aziz

Yes indeed, SQL Server and Access work very well together. In fact because SQL server has no ability to create a front-end many developers ue Access to do same.

By linking the SQL tables to Access , or creating an Access Project-where Access works exclusively with an SQL database- you can create very professional applications. In an Access Project the queries are run by the SQL Server engine, whilst with linked tables it's the Access Jet Database engine that does the work.

There are a few things to take extra care of, permissions, passwords and Server issues, but they are minor.

Try it!

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0
Many thanks. Any SQL server books that anyone can recommend so that I can get started?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eccymarge

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back