SQL queries in ACCESS

tealeaf

Board Regular
Hi this is my first time working with access. Mostly I work with Excel. At any rate, I'd like to know how I can make some sql queries to existing databases on my company network.
For example in Excel i went to data>get external data>new database query.
now i'd like to do the equivalent in Access. does that make sense?
like i have the database somewhere on the network and i want to extract a table into access. :confused:

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hullo. This is ceratinly possible. Going by the somewhat light information you gave, here are some general hints along the path: Make sure that Access can SEE the db on the network. How this is done will depend on the db type you are trying to touch. Once Access is able to see the database, you have a choice; you can Link to the table you need, thereby making sure that changes to the source are reflected in your local table, you can Import the table, thereby allowing for use when the source table would otherwise be offline as well as having some slight increase in speed at the cost of having stale info.

HTH

P

Upvote 0
thanx so much for ur help. i managed to link the external database as u say. now i have a new obstacle. how can i go about putting a criteria on the date field? i only want the last few months but the table i'm linking has the last 15 years! so it's really too big.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyFlower

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back