SQL Database Connection - Disabling auto update

I/O_Dork

Board Regular
How can I configure Excel 2003 to not automatically attempt connecting to a database?

I have an excel file from a client of mine that connects to his database, allowing him to update the combo boxes in the template before he sends it over to me. It worked fine in Excel 2000, but since I upgraded to Excel 2003 it does not work properly.

Here's what Happens:
When I used to open up the file in Excel 2000, I would get an excel prompt asking if I want to connect to the sql database to update the data, normally you would click "No" b/c we do not have access to our clients database. However, If I click yes, then the file would try to update the data and get nothing at all, thus the combo boxes would not have anything listed, nothing to reference since the connection attempt failed.

Now that I have upgraded to Excel 2003, I don't get prompted/asked to update the data, it seems to automatically attempt to connect and update without asking me. And as such, it can't connect and therefore the list for the combo boxes get wiped out.

There is no database query listed under the Data menu, the connection seems to be programed in the Visual Basic Editor. So, how can I configure Excel 2003 not to automatically attempt connecting to a database, or at least prompt me like Excel 2000 did?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Brian :-\

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
That was a great link. Thanks so much. Fortunately, it was solved more easily that that, all I had to do was set the macro security to low.

Upvote 0
Glad you got it.

I've seen other people claim that they have run for years with macro security set to low. IMO, that's not a good idea. I'd go with the registry edit or ask your supplier to switch off the "Refresh on open" before they send it to you.

Gary

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back