Splitting a variable length column into 4 colums

locolindo

Hi there,

I need to separate a column of data that varies in its length, into 4 equal columns that would change accordingly.

Let me give an example:

If the data row in column A = 60 rows --> I would get 4 columns (B, C, D, E), each with 15 values. (B1:B15=A1:A15; C1:C15=A16:A30; D1:D15=A31:A45; E1:E15=A46:A60)

If the data row in column A = 48 rows --> I would get 4 columns (B, C, D, E), each with 12 values. (B1:B12=A1:A12; C1:C12=A13:A24; D1:D12=A25:A36; E1:E12=A37:A48)

If the data row in column A = 20 rows --> I would get 4 columns (B, C, D, E), each with 5 values. (B1:B5=A1:A5; C1:C5=A6:A10; D1:D5=A11:A15; E1:E5=A16:A20)

and so on...

I tried to do it using array formulas, but could not get it to do it if the initial column has a different value. If I changed the initial number of rows, it would either fill the columns with zeroes, or not display all values.

There was a somewhat similar issue discussed here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...long-column-into-multiple-smaller-columns.htm , but in that case the initial column always had the same number of rows, and mine can change greatly (sometimes from from 20-1400 rows...).

I'd appreciate both formulas and macros, but formulas would work better, as I am not familiar with VBA...

Thanks!

Best,
Locolindo

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Try:
=IF(ROW()<(COUNTA($A:$A)/4)*(COLUMN()-1),INDEX($A:$A,(COUNTA($A:$A)/4)*(COLUMN()-2)+ROW(),1),"")

In B1 and drag the formula appropriately

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Ghrain,
Thanks for your help! The formula you created still has to be tweaked somewhat, but I think I can take it from here. It is a big help, though!
Thanks a lot!
Locolindo

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FengXue

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back