Split database

Royal Presence

Board Regular
Hi,

I guess I got to the point where I should split the databasee into front end and back end, but not sure how to do this. The dbase is not formed properly even yet, just some spreadsheets linked for testing. It is a huge project with unnerving scientific calculations and raw data that needs to be input and viewed for as you can imagine in numerous manifestations. My question is does anyone have any general advice for making this move? I'm kind of backwards in my thinking, but I first starting creating the database, then I shifted back to temporary or linked Excel files before migrating and now I'm in the middle almost of an exciting challenge. The ground work has been laid and the formulas tested. As you may guess I've learned things from the design 'view' and not from coding. If anyone has any background on some basic tips, without complicated codes to shift this in this manner, please let me know. I'm going to go beta with the basic database with multiple tables and sub datasheets. Then, I'd like to create a clone as a split and see the difference, yet I almost don't have a clue which things to choose for front or back. I'm sorry if I sound so stupid.

Thank you ever so much.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Royal Presence said:
Hi,

I guess I got to the point where I should split the databasee into front end and back end, but not sure how to do this. The dbase is not formed properly even yet, just some spreadsheets linked for testing. It is a huge project with unnerving scientific calculations and raw data that needs to be input and viewed for as you can imagine in numerous manifestations. My question is does anyone have any general advice for making this move? I'm kind of backwards in my thinking, but I first starting creating the database, then I shifted back to temporary or linked Excel files before migrating and now I'm in the middle almost of an exciting challenge. The ground work has been laid and the formulas tested. As you may guess I've learned things from the design 'view' and not from coding. If anyone has any background on some basic tips, without complicated codes to shift this in this manner, please let me know. I'm going to go beta with the basic database with multiple tables and sub datasheets. Then, I'd like to create a clone as a split and see the difference, yet I almost don't have a clue which things to choose for front or back. I'm sorry if I sound so stupid.

Thank you ever so much.

Hi,

The basic principle is that the back-end contains your tables and nothing else. All of your forms, queries, reports and any code are stored in the front-end and you link all of the tables in the back-end to the front-end. You may then choose to run the front-end from a single location, or distribute it so that each user has his or her own copy - this is the normal method especially if you plan on using temporary tables to help speed up queries.

I'm not sure what else to add at this stage. Please feel free to post back with any questions and don't worry about sounding 'stupid'; no one thinks that :)

Upvote 0
Can a split database be recombined easily? Someone was showing me how to split the database and did so before I had a chance to make a backup copy. I'm still kinda new to Access. If I just import the tables back in, delete the links to the table links to the Back-end mdb file, and rename them to their original names, will that work? It's not like my database is big or anything, but I'm really not in the mood to re-enter a couple hundred entries. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Yep, going back is fairly easy -- but the order in which you do it will save you a lot of pain.

To import tables to the front-end:
1. Delete ALL table links before you start, otherwise incoming tables will have a 1 appended to them.
2. File | Get External Data | Import...
Navigate to the database, Open. Select the Tables tab, Select All.
BEFORE clicking OK, select Options. Make sure you include the relational information (it's one of the checkbox options). You could just check everything you see in that dialog :wink:
Now click OK and your tables are back in a single system.

If you are going to have more than one user at a time, I'd recommend splitting the database anyway. For one, updates to the business logic (queries, forms, reports) can be checked before rolling out a new version to all users -- no need to touch the data.

Denis

Upvote 0
I'll give that a try. I will probably split it before I distribute it, but at this point it's not ready for release yet. I'd say it's somewhere between the R&D phase and beta testing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back