Spelling check

Robert Mika

MrExcel MVP
Is it possible to introduce this option on the Forum?
I'm not English(Polish by the way) and sometimes writing/explaining some ideas, I'm coming across difficult words and I do not always have access to Word or is quite long winding checking all words with Google.
I assume that would help a lot of our users.

Robert

Not really answering your question regarding board settings, but I have just started using Google Chrome as my browser (previously Internet Explorer) and spelling is now checked as I type my forum replies. I don't know if it is because of a specific setting I have in Chrome, but it has helped me post less typos. (

It does also create a lot of red underlines when writing formulas or vba but I find that pretty easy to ignore and of course I can add function names, vba special words etc to the Dictionary if I want. For example, while typing this post vba was underlined but I have now added that to my Dictionary.

I think FireFox has the same built in spell checking. Also, there are extensions for IE to add spell checking, but they don't always work (by that I mean turn on). When it does work, it's great. Maybe I should investigate why it's not working a bit further...

Thank you both for replay.
Peter I could switch to Chrome probably but I'm very attached to my FF.
Does it mean that the board does not have this option or is not switch on?

Sous, the build in function does not work on this forum-does not work anywhere I was trying.
Do you have any extention,that you are using?

Does it mean that the board does not have this option or is not switch on?
I don't have access to the board's settings so I don't know. My understanding is that the Admins still have their hands pretty full with issues arising from the change of software and are concentrating on the critical ones to keep the board functioning, so even looking at this (non-critical) issue may be some time off yet.

Using FF (15.0.1) and spell check is working for me too:
Tools | Options | General (tab)| Check my spelling as I type (checkbox)

Actually I've been using this for some time without really realizing it - just got so used to the red squiggles showing up when I mistype a word I didn't really think about where it came from.

I just with the IE add-on (speckie) worked reliablly. IE is our mandated work browser and my spelling is flat out terrible!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fahad_ibnfurjan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back