Sparklines Displaying Incorrectly

evileconboy

I've got some data (5% in each column, unvarying, for 10 years).

I constructed a spark line to cover this data, and Excel, for some reason, has the sparkline showing crazy variability. There is literally no variability in this data. It's 5% precisely. When I re-copy the formulas, the sparkline shows correctly (a straight line). But when I hit F9 to recalculate, the sparkline changes back to a squiggly line with crazy variability.

Clearly there is something about where the sparkline is getting its data that I don't understand. I've re-done the sparkline from scratch in other places, to no avail. Does anyone know what's going on that would make a sparkline pointing to constant data show variability?:mad:

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
I've actually found the answer here. Sparklines amplify small variances and compress large ones. I added a "round to 2 digits" on my figures and the spark lines compressed to show a flat line. I'm guessing that the floating point representation of numbers is hairy and has some weird side effect whereby large numbers divided to give a percentage look different from period to period, and the sparklines amplify that variation, even though those variations are infinitesimal.

Upvote 0
here is a screenshot of the example. try it for yourself to see how this works

WDYx3r8.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back