Sourcing Drop Down options from results of other drop down

boprat

To help everyone understand, I will use a simple example of what I'm attempting to do (plz keep in mind that my actual table is more complex and requires access as the solution).

Imagine a table that contains two fields: 1) Division 2) Team

I have a form that has two drop downs. The first allows the user to select the division (let's use the NFL here): AFC EAST, AFC WEST, AFC NORTH, AFC SOUTH, NFC EAST, NFC WEST, NFC NORTH, & NFC SOUTH.

Based upon user selection of one of those divisions (let's assume "NFC NORTH" was selected, I would like to have the second drop down show those teams only associated w/the NFC NORTH (Packers, Lions, Bears, Vikings).

Can someone give me a detailed description of what type of queries I need to create ( and I'm not too swift, so feel free to be as detailed as you'd care too :) ) and where I need to hook them into my user form.

I run on Access 97 fyi.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Re: Sourcing Drop Down options from results of other drop do

OK…This is how I have solved this problem on one of my Access 97 databases, but there may be a better way, I just haven’t found it.

Create a query for the first dropdown from the table that holds the “Division” and “Team” fields. The query only needs the division information. Go to view and select totals, and then in the sort row select Ascending, this will give you a list of all the divisions in alphabetical order. Save this Query. Create a combo box on your form using the query you just created as the values for the combo box.

Now create another query this time with the “Team” field and “Division” field, in the criteria for “Division” type – [Forms]![Your_Form]![Your_Division_ComboBox]

On the your form create another combo box using the second query as the values.

When you select the Division on you first combo box, Access will hold the value in the combo box, when the second combo box is activated it will run the second query it will use the Division you selected as the criteria for the query, giving you only the teams in that division.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Re: Sourcing Drop Down options from results of other drop do

The second link has some very useful stuff :cool:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back