Sorting issue when formula includes sheet name

Electra_Pink

I know the answer to my problem. My question is why is it happening?

If you include the sheet name of the current sheet in a formula and then sort the data, the formulas do not sort.

For example:
1 1
2 2
3 3

Where the second column references the first column with the formula: =Sheet1!A1 copied to all following rows.

Then, if you sort the entire range by Column A, descending, you get:

3 1
2 2
1 3

Where the formula in B1 now references A3 and B3 references A1

However, if you change the formula to exclude the sheet name and reference only the cell, =A1 and copy that to the other rows, then sort the whole range by column A, descending, it sorts correctly.

3 3
2 2
1 1

WHY?

It's acting like an absolute reference here but does not act like an absolute reference when you copy it from cell B1 to B2 and B3. I know the simple answer is, ”don’t include the current sheet name in your formulas”. But the reason this is a problem is that when you are entering a formula (e.g., vlookup, sumif) that includes references to another sheet it then automatically includes the sheet name for all subsequent references, including those on the current sheet. Now that I KNOW this, I’ll try to be more careful. But I’m wondering if there’s a more solid workaround beside relying on my human abilities.

Thanks so much in advance and thanks too for all the past help. I love this board! - Deborah

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back