Sort Already Selected Range

AWiseGuy

I have a spreadsheet with multiple parts on one sheet. Each part has a different number of rows, but the key column is always the same.

I want to be able to highlight the relevant range, then invoke a macro to sort that range. Then I want to highlight another range and invoke the macro to sort only that range, etc.

This is a mock up of what I'm looking to do. I want to highlight a range (Task through last Hours), then invoke the macro to sort by Hours.
Site 1
TaskAssignedHours
Job1Smith25
Job2Jones32
Job3Silver15
Site 2
TaskAssignedHours
Job1Smith25
Job2Jones32
Job3Silver15
Job 4Wilson8
Job 5Smith12
Site 3
TaskAssignedHours
Job1Smith25
Job2Jones32

<colgroup><col span="2"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Sub Macro1()
With ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet2").Sort
.SetRange Range(Active)
.Header = xlYes
.MatchCase = False
.Orientation = xlTopToBottom
.SortMethod = xlPinYin
.Apply
End With
End Sub

You can almost do this just as fast by just knowing the quick commands:
ctrl + a to select the range
alt + a + s + s to sort the data

Upvote 0
Couldn't get the quick commands to work, but the macro fails on the .SetRange Range(Active) command - it doesn't like the keyword Active. I don't think it matters , but if it makes a difference, I'm using Excel 2010

Upvote 0
Assuming that you are selecting from the word Task to the last number in the Hours column in each section.

Code:
Sub SortRangeX()
  Selection.Sort Key1:=Selection.Cells(1, 3), Header:=xlYes
End Sub

or if as per your sample there is a blank row between each section then select a single cell in the section and run...

Code:
Sub SortRangeZ()
    With ActiveCell.CurrentRegion
        .Offset(1).Resize(.Rows.Count - 1).Sort Key1:=.Cells(1, 3), Header:=xlYes
    End With
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mark858's first code option works perfectly - now let me add a small wrinkle. There is a blank column in the data (as shown below). I'd like to put the cursor in the top left hand cell and have the macro do the equivalent of {End Down}, {Right 4} to select the range, then I'll execute the sort step as is. I've tried using Offset, but I can't get it to work.

TaskAssignedHoursShift
Job1Smith25Day
Job2Jones32Day
Job3Silver15Night

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got it figured out - code below in case anyone else has this need. Thanks for the help...

Sub SortSelected()

With ActiveSheet
Range(ActiveCell.End(xlDown), ActiveCell.Offset(0, 10)).Select
End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Is there the Site 1, Site 2 etc. in the immediate line above each section as you showed in your first post?

Is there a blank row between each section?

How many columns are there in reality? you showed 4 originally, your last post shows 5 including the blank column but you are offsetting by 10?

Upvote 0
The actual data is set up in a similar fashion as the first post with blank lines between each section that needs to be sorted.
My examples only showed 4/5 columns to simplify things. In actuality there are more (as indicated by the Offset).

Start with the cursor in the header row of the first column to be sorted. This presumes no blank lines in the data table. The number in OFFSET is set to the number of columns to be sorted.
Range(ActiveCell.End(xlDown), ActiveCell.Offset(0, 10)).Select
This statements presumes the key column for the sort is the 3rd one. To sort of another column simply change 3 to {whatever}.

Upvote 0
Are the number of columns 11 as in your last post or can they vary up or down?
and the same question as previously is there a cell with "Site" and a number above each section? as in your first post.

Please try and answer the questions as asked.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I thought I had answered the questions.

There are an unknown number of contiguous rows [End(xlDown)], and exactly 10 columns in my dataset with one blank column in the middle [OFFSET(0,10)].
There is a title block above the header row to identify each block of data ("Site"). By putting the cursor on the header row below that title, I keep it outside the sort parameters.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hglymph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back