Son of a ______! What are the odds?!

Greg Truby

MrExcel MVP
Son of a _(gun)_! What are the odds?!

Just spent ten minutes checking code and couldn't find a bug. Opened the source file and I'll be danged!

Source file is a mainframe report that is 936 "pages" long and has 82,889 lines. My code tosses header rows as it reads the file. Danged if the report didn't have EXACTLY 65,535 rows of actual data. More often than not, this report bridges two worksheets every month. But when the second worksheet had zero rows of data, I thought my previously bullet proof code had run into some screwball character in the file or something.

Who woulda thunk it?! Obviously not a "one-in-a-million", but given that this report normally runs 60K to 80K rows of data, gotta figure it was a 1-in-10,000 or 1-in-20,000 shot. :biggrin:

[I have a suspicion that one of our stats-lovin' members is gonna tell me that figuring cumulative odds of hitting number "x" on "n" tries is such and such, still - I would think it's one heck of a long shot.]

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Re: Son of a _(gun)_! What are the odds?!

Why ain't you runnin' that much data in Access there Skippy? :lol:

Re: Son of a _(gun)_! What are the odds?!

Why ain't you runnin' that much data in Access there Skippy? :lol:

I did end up dumping that particular cut into Access to work with myself and build pivot tables from. But there are others that need to use the data and my boss would never give me the time to build a true Access application that would be user friendly enough for anyone else to use. The others that need access to the data can (with some Excel add-ins I've written) figure out how to at least get what they need if I put the data into Excel.

In other words it's the classic case of never time to do a proper job of it. Just slam something together that will meet spec though you could think of a half-dozen ways to improve it if only given the time. *sigh* :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back