"Solver could not find a feasible solution"

djhuckfield

Hi everyone, I'm trying out Solver for the first time and it's not working as expected - hopefully someone will have some idea of what I'm doing wrong.

Below is screen print of my current layout, copied from a YouTube tutorial - I'm using Solver on cell M15, changing cells I5:I14, with constraints on cells I5:I14 and J5:J14 that they must be equal to or greater than zero. The result I'm trying to achieve in cell M15 is 56%. Every time I run it, I only get the error message that Solver cannot find a feasible solution - any ideas where I'm going wrong? I've shown the formulas I'm using in cells M5:M14 to the right of them.

solver_problem.jpg

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Ooh -- bad eyes!

Can you put a worbook on box.net and post a link?

Upvote 0
First of all, shouldn't M15 be L15/K15 rather than the average of the percentages? If so, you get a solution.

Upvote 0
First of all, shouldn't M15 be L15/K15 rather than the average of the percentages? If so, you get a solution.

Ah - thanks, that seems to make it come to a solution. The only problem is it provides an answer of selling very few products, as shown in this image (ignore the AVERAGE formula I just forgot to delete the label, the actual formula is now L15/K15 as you suggested):

solver_problem2.jpg

I'm using this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4QkLA3sT1o
(he runs the solver around 6:28) and his answers were much more what you'd expect a business to realistically want to come up with, but he didn't seem to use any more constraints than I did - any idea what would cause that?

Upvote 0
I've looked at this video and I can't get his results either. His explanation of Solver is sound but I just don't see how he got his results. I also see things on his spreadsheet that don't make any sense. For example, on one screen he has a product costing $90 and he sold 24 but shows gross sales of $2187 instead of the correct answer of $2160. He also should have a constraint that makes the units to sell an integer. Again, I don't know how he got his results and would need a copy of his spreadsheet to analyze further.

Upvote 0
I've looked at this video and I can't get his results either. His explanation of Solver is sound but I just don't see how he got his results. I also see things on his spreadsheet that don't make any sense. For example, on one screen he has a product costing $90 and he sold 24 but shows gross sales of $2187 instead of the correct answer of $2160. He also should have a constraint that makes the units to sell an integer. Again, I don't know how he got his results and would need a copy of his spreadsheet to analyze further.

I guess I can add a few more constraints, maybe that units sold have to be above a certain amount or percentage - the important thing is I got Solver to work, so thanks everyone for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrustige

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back