So I had another idea

scrupul0us

This one would require a little coding outside the realm of the forums, but in my opinion be useful...

I think we are all familiar with the Hotscripts website that allows you to search/browse for code based on category... I think it would be pretty pimpish if we had a section on the site that was a collective (approved) section of categorized code samples...

This would (in my opinion) reduce the number of posts for simple and redundant requests and help board bandwidth issues since there would be less "F5" action happening... then if someone had an issue with that code (modification / expansion) we'd know at least their base code works

Just a thought

I think we are all familiar with the Hotscripts website that allows you to search/browse for code based on category... I think it would be pretty pimpish if we had a section on the site that was a collective (approved) section of categorized code samples...
Never heard of it, but I don't get around much. You might want to PM Zack (firefytr) and see if he and the other Moderators/Admins might be amenable to setting up a "Knowledge Base" like they have at www.vbaexpress.com

It's a good idea as far as I'm concerned.

Smitty

We do haved a KB at VBAX, yes. But as far as I know, MrExcel.com doesn't have any plans to have such a database here. That would be something to ask Bill, Tracy or Von Pookie.

Personally, I love the idea of a single place to find great pieces of Excel information (albeit code, formulas, whatever). This is the idea of why we started the KB over at VBAX. All entries are tested, come with complete directions, explanations, discussions, real world examples and a downloadable sample file. You can get a lot of answers on this board with the search feature. You will be able to find most of your answers with this. Then there is always the MrExcel archives on CD.

P.S. Moved to 'About this Board' forum.

I've toyed with the idea of trying to come up with a literal "frequently asked questions" with links to threads providing answers before. I basically chucked the idea as being too much work to bother with.

Other than the fact that there are way too many posts here to realistically go through and evaluate, we already have the search function that many people don't use (admittedly it can be a bit quirky, but it's still functional), announcements and/or instructions--such as the plainly visible HTML Maker thread--that many people seem to ignore, as well as multiple possible answers for many questions.

If something like that had been implemented more towards the beginning of the board I could see it being a bit more managaeable, but at the moment it's not really something I care to take the time to look into, myself.

My only qualm with the search feature is that it can return 100's if not 1000's of results that can be very tedious to go through

It helps if you know how to streamline your search. E.g., use multiple parameters against your query.

Also, I tend to throw a specific user handle in my search, while I tend to have the advantage of knowing who speaks well to what around here.

And, see the articles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ogoreo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back