So... am I the only one...

Greg Truby

MrExcel MVP
who, upon reading this article, has a first reaction of?
"Yeah, he's a dork -- but not for the reason cited. He's a dork because he's embedding all of those dates inside blocks of text. Additionally he should have location information in a separate column. How's he going to filter or sort effectively? It'll be a royal PITA to use this data efficiently. In fact, he really should be using Access based on the data structures."

I mean c'mon his layout is terrible. I'm not the only one with this reaction, right?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
I'm with you Greg. The data is a mess. I applaud his attempt, but he needs a littel less finance and a little more normalization.

But when I was dating we used pictures on the wall with sticks and rocks piled carefully in the corner instead of spreadsheets, so this still looks like it might be workable for some people. :laugh:

Hey, if he's gonna have to keep a spreadsheet to keep track of that many dates, he maight be too busy with women to worry about formatting, filtering, and the like !!

I'd imagine his filter system would be .....no score, DELETE row.

...I see he hid some columns. :laugh:

The worksheet is prolly password protected, for high security too. :rofl:

In fact, he really should be using Access based on the data structures.
Yeah, I know someone like that too -- wants to use Excel for EVERYTHING! They came to me once asking why their Excel sheet was taking so long to run and formulas weren't being updated automatically. They had exceeded the maximum dependencies to be re-calc'd automatically.

That is what happens when you try to put a huge database with mutliple pages, tens of thousands of rows on each page, hundreds of columns, and even formulas in Excel. Hint: THAT IS A SIGN YOU SHOULD BE USING A DATABASE PROGRAM, NOT EXCEL!!!

BTW, I wonder how many dates this guy mentioned in the article in getting now...

I think I may use this in my Beginning Excel course to emphasize proper worksheet structure.

It's already a pretty good lesson to women to avoid dorks. I prefer geeks. A geek would have presented the information in a much more efficient manner.

Maybe the hidden column was for emotional commitment,
nah, maybe not.

I think I may use this in my Beginning Excel course to emphasize proper worksheet structure.

It's already a pretty good lesson to women to avoid dorks. I prefer geeks. A geek would have presented the information in a much more efficient manner.

:rofl:

That is what happens when you try to put a huge database with mutliple pages, tens of thousands of rows on each page, hundreds of columns, and even formulas in Excel. Hint: THAT IS A SIGN YOU SHOULD BE USING A DATABASE PROGRAM, NOT EXCEL!!!
I agree, but why does Excel provide an enormous amount of possibilities - billions of data, hundreds of pages - if you can not use them efficiently?
That's something I am wondering for a long time.

kind regards,
Erik

****, that's just pathetic. Hasn't he heard of Outlook?

Reminds me of a recent post where someone wanted to use Excel to track text messages between her and her boyfriend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lordy888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back