snapshot viewer file displays wrong on user's computer

LindaSO

HI,

This is an Access 2000/snapshot viewer question. I exported Access report sin Snapshot Viewer (the one that came with Access 2000, not a separate download). The reports looks great to me; times new roman font, landscape on an 11x17 page. I copy and paste the snp files onto a server within my company, but 300 miles from me. When 2 users open the snp file on their computer or print it, they see 'gothic font and it's all stretched out'. Yet, some of the snp files they open and the display/print correctly. I've tried switching in Access from 'specific printer' of a minolta or acrobat distiller to 'default printer' to see if that's the problem, but it didn't make any difference in how the report displayed. I'm at a loss for trouble-shooting this since they look good to me and at first cut it doesn't appear to be the printer driver.

Does anyone know what snapshot is 'using' that might affect the display on another user's computer? Printer driver is all I can think of, as the reports are designed very similarly to each other (the ones that work and the ones that don't work).

I appreciate any suggestions.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Is it When the print it out that it looks all Gothic and streched, or is it their display that doesn't show it correctly. Because if it is, it could be because of there video drivers. Also it could be there mapping, you say its on a server. for example: if they have one server mapped to E: and you have it mapped to F: it will stop them from being able to see it. As it would be trying to find the file that is located in the F: but for them it should be the E:
therefor they either need to map it to the right drive. Or you need to make the path where you save it as. \\[servername]\[filename]\[file] that might work, cant be positive as i cannot see the actual layout of your system. Could also need to load on a program with that sort of file name. Like if it is a .pcx file or something like that, and they dont have the right program to find that file type, then that can change a bit too. Hopefully this works

Upvote 0
Hi.

The report views the same on their screen and when they print it out.

Both offices have the 'data' directory mapped to L. There are about 8 reports I exported to snapshot, and they can see 4 or 5 of them properly, with the same font and proportioning as I do, and just a few that come out 'gothic and stretched out'. I have tried remaking the files and reposting them on the network to see if something was corrupt, but the outcome is the same each time.

One of the two folks is using the snapshot viewer that came with Access 2000 and the other downloaded snapshot viewer from the microsoft page. It seems the software must be ok if they can view some of the reports properly?

Upvote 0
could just be there video drivers then, when you have them set up wrong or the video cards are failing, they can do things like that, and it makes sence if you got the computers at the same time. Did you get them at the same time? If you did then it could be that. Otherwise the original pictures could well be corrupt, or the data isn't being transfered over the network properly for that 300 miles.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info :biggrin:

The computers in the other office might have been purchased in the same general time frame, but mine was likely later. Tracing purchase dates through the corporate inventory would clarify the chronology, but not something I have access to.

I will see what I can find about the video cards. Seems strange that they print out the same way they view. But, I'll check into that.

Thanks again for the info.

Upvote 0
Thats ok no problem, They would print out the way they are shown because the whole computer works as one, just like when you take a screen shot and it prints out the way its shown. It couldn't do that if it didn't work in conjunction with everything else because the printer cannot see what the screen shows.
All the best, hope it works

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigvan888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back