Smarter alternative to Name Manager & Indirect Formula?

RockandGrohl

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello guys, I'm plumbed the depths of ChatGPT knowledge and it couldn't help me out, so I'm going traditional.

Please see below for our data structure.

WBS example.JPG

The data (Asset) is categorised under two headings. First is Cost Heading, second is Cost Group.

On another sheet, the user first selects the Cost Heading (Frozen Food), then the Cost Groups which are only applicable to Frozen Food - (Pies) and then finally the Asset which is only applicable to Pies - Vegetable (yuck)
They can do this for any number of lines, and each line is indepedent of the others so you can go Frozen Food - Pies - Vegetable on one line, Fresh Fruit - Small Fruit - Cherry on the other, etc.

Currently this is being done by having a Data Validation list of all the unique Cost Headings, and then using Indirect formula in combination with Name Manager to pull only the appropriate names out.

This has a number of disadvantages:

1. We can't alphabetise the list if things are added to the structure haphazardly.
  2. This list of assets sits on a master sheet and copies are added to various workbooks we have. When you copy the master sheet, the Name Manager references change from Global to Local. I am the only one in the company with a plugin to change this back, and it's a ballache of a process
  3. The rules to get things working in Name Manager are frustrating and errors are frequently made when new Assets are added or things are altered.

I'd like to move away from this if possible, and have seen guides like this that promise to work:

Unfortuntely it seems like if you do more than two groups of dropdowns, it stops working. As I said, one of the requirements is that there will be numerous rows where the user can select the asset they want and this means each dropdown must be independent.

If you guys can think of anything, please let me know.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back