Simple VBA code freezes/crashes Excel

ubergreen

Office Version
  1. 2021
I am using the VBA code below to delete a specific number of rows each time a button is pressed, which we can call Workbook2

VBA Code:
Sub DeleteRows()

For y = 356 To 2 Step -1
Rows(y).Delete
Next y

End Sub

I have another workbook, Workbook1, that references the values in Workbook2. Workbook1 has various references to other additional workbooks and functions/formulas to calculate everything.

When I execute this code, I will see this popping up at the bottom and it'll flash really quickly values between 0-100%
1721233558871.png

That's the only activity I see in my Excel sheets once the delete rows VBA code is executed.

If I manually delete the rows from Workbook2, everything will work properly and nothing crashes or freezes. All of the values from Workbook2 will be correctly referenced into Workbook1 accordingly. Additionally, if I run the VBA code with only Workbook2 open, the VBA code will perform perfectly without any issues as well.

This makes me a bit confused as to exactly what could be causing the my Excel to freeze when both workbooks are open and I execute the function.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Putting the deletion of rows in a cycle will always be slow, and even more so if you have formulas.

What is recommended in your case if you are always going to delete that range of rows:

VBA Code:
Sub deleterows_2()
  Rows("2:356").Delete
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Putting the deletion of rows in a cycle will always be slow, and even more so if you have formulas.

What is recommended in your case if you are always going to delete that range of rows:

VBA Code:
Sub deleterows_2()
  Rows("2:356").Delete
End Sub

Thanks. That worked perfectly. I had found the original code online, but I guess I didn't understand it enough to know that was not an efficient or maybe ideal way of deleting rows.

Now it makes me wonder if some of my other codes/functions could be optimized to allow things to run faster and more efficiently.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back