Simple Queries

Dargie

I have created a small database, 1 table and 1 form, detailing mountain climbing info. Im not too hot on access,and would like to know how to create a simple querie which would display all the records pertaining to a certain field.
e.g If i searched a field called height, how could i write a simple querie that could display all the records for mountains above or below that height?
I know how to create the reports, by basing them on the queries, but when creating the queries I become unstuck.
Im not sure how to use the criteria section, in the design view of a querie.
i.e the syntax I should use.

:oops:

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Dargie

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
From the Table you are in, click on the New Object icon and select Query. You will then be in Query design view where you will see a square with your table name and fields and a grid.

Go into the table square and double click on each field that you would like to display in your query. It will add it to the grid below. Now find the Height field that was added to the grid below, and enter your criteria on the Criteria line.

If you want to only look at entries over 1,000, then simply enter >1000 in the Criteria. Click on datasheet view to look at your results.

Upvote 0
Also be sure to check out "About designing a query" in Access help. This will give you a good start.

You may find the Query Wizards to be helpful also.

Upvote 0
ok
cheers I'll give that a go

Is there any way that i could possibly add a pop up box for the entry of height, for the querie

e.g > 1000 metres,which would look at the table and pull all the relevant records onto a report

Or am I just asking to confuse myself here?

Better to keep it simple?

Cheers Dargie

Upvote 0
In the criteria, if you enter:

>[Enter the minimum height]

then whenever you go to view the query, an Input Box will pop-up asking them to enter the minimum height.

See Access help on "Create a parameter query" for more details.

Upvote 0
Thankyou

jmiskey

Your tips really helped me out, Ive done quite a few queries, managed to view the reports from them and I seem to be getting somewhere now.
Even although I'm an Access learner.

I now realise how difficult databases can be. When there is more than one table and form involved, I dread to think where you can end up!

Much appreciated

Dargie

Upvote 0
It is actually pretty useful and powerful stuff, once you get the hang of it (its really not bad once you learn the basics).

There are some great beginner books out there. And of course, there's this site to help you out also. :wink:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeller10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back