Simple one (for you guys!)

Jonathanw

Board Regular
Hi,

I'm struggling with a fairly simple thing, must admit, im relatively OK with basics of access, just starting to get into more complex side. My question is this.

I have several tables, with my Main table being the final record, what I want to do is generate a specific reference number for the record, which can relate to our business system. This is in the format of vendor/accounts/record.

Vendor is picked from a pick-list box and record number is the unique record number, so they are fine. what I want is a pick list from a number of descriptions, this then completes the accounts section with an accounts ref.

The table is as follows

ACCNOM
* Accounts Nominal number
Description

As I say, I want a pick list to pick description, then in a seperate box, display the corresponding Accounts Nominal number, this sounds fairly easy, until you try do it.?

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Regards
JonathanW

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Very possible.

Making an assumption that when you built your form, you bound the table to it (or it could be bound to a SQL query based on the table)...
Insert something like this into tht AfterUpdate event for the picklist/combobox

Code:
Private Sub objectName_AfterUpdate()
Dim strVal As String

strVal = Me.objectName.Value & "'" & [fieldname] & "'"

End Sub

This dumps the text value of the combobox & the fieldname from your table into a variable after concatenating them together.

From here you'd end up using a recordset object to update the table value.

Here's a trick question though. Most of the time it's not a good idea to build fields in a table based on the contents of other fields. Assuming the value chosen from the picklist does appear in a record field, use a query instead. Queries can show the table contents and also build additional "fields" based on other fields. And, queries are 99% interchangeable with Tables. If you can use Table in one instance, most likely, a query works there also.

Mike

Upvote 0
I must confess, i was coming round to the idea that a query may well be better. Once the selection has been made, and the box for moving on is selected the whole section is locked, if they make a mistake, then they have to cancel and start again!

Cheers for help, I will report back when I have completed this project

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMB1982

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back