silly date question

-sam

Board Regular
This is without a doubt a simple question, but my Access knowledge is even less than my Excel knowledge. I'm importing a whole mess of data from Excel into Access including a column of birth dates. Wouldn't you know there are two geezers with birthdates in the 1800's. Access is spitting back an error about type conversion when it loads the data. I understand why the problem exists, but I'm a little unclear as to the work around. Any advice in the matter is appreciated.

-sam

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Without knowing the full scope of the table layout (you don't have a date validation calculation, do you?), I would probably change the two dates to the 1900's for the import. Then, once the records are imported, manually find those two records and change them.

By the way, what are the Wings going to do about their goaltending situation now that Hasek is back? Adios CuJo, I presume...

Upvote 0
jmiskey said:
Without knowing the full scope of the table layout (you don't have a date validation calculation, do you?), I would probably change the two dates to the 1900's for the import. Then, once the records are imported, manually find those two records and change them.

It's a very simple table, very large, but simple, no validations, not formulas, just data. What I ended up doing was saving the sheets as text files and importing them into access that way. Worked pretty well once i figured out that the memo field type exists for very long strings of text. :)

jmiskey said:
By the way, what are the Wings going to do about their goaltending situation now that Hasek is back? Adios CuJo, I presume...
conventional wisdom says that Cujo is going to (unfairly) get the boot, expect something to happen soon now that hte fedorov situation has resolved itself..

-sam

Upvote 0
Yeah, I have found that sometimes data doesn't always import from Excel cleanly, and there often doesn't appear to be a good reason! I have done the workaround you have done also, going to a textfile, and have had good success with that. The extra step is a pain though!

Between losing Fedorov, and with the signings that the Avalanche have made (Kariya and Selanne), Detroit could be in trouble next season. Most of their stars are aging, too.

Upvote 0
jmiskey said:
Yeah, I have found that sometimes data doesn't always import from Excel cleanly, and there often doesn't appear to be a good reason! I have done the workaround you have done also, going to a textfile, and have had good success with that. The extra step is a pain though!

Yeah, I wouldn't even be bothering with Access if it wasn't for the fact that I like how it exports text and it's not hampered by the row limitation I'd use Excel. At least I can build the save as text file into the macro that builds the sheets. Thanks for the tip btw.

Between losing Fedorov, and with the signings that the Avalanche have made (Kariya and Selanne), Detroit could be in trouble next season. Most of their stars are aging, too.

Oh but their defense, Lidstrom and Hatcher are in their prime and Fischer's just starting to come into his own. Add Chelios Schnieder(sp?) and Wooley and you've got the best top 6 in the league. Plus Datsyuk and Zetterberg are stars in the making. The wings will be contenders this year, i'm worried about next year.

-sam

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmix803

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back