Show me the Money

clemkonan

I am tracking US and Canadian credit card charges for a list of items over the last year. I want to end up with the totals for each column so that I can show total US and total Canadian spent. However, on occasion the statement does not include the US amount and purchases in Canada have to be back calculated to avoid having zeros in the US column.

I am using three columns A1 = US$ B1 = CDN $ and C1 = Conversion rate as US / CDN

So a row of data reads:
A2= 31.66 US
B2= 32.64 CDN
C2 = 31.66/ 32.64 = 0.969975

for my next entry :

A3= Blank

B3 = 50.13 CDN

I want to set M3 = 0.969975

Then I want a formula that looks at A3 (well in fact all of column A) and says that if that cell is blank do the calculation M3 X B3, otherwise do nothing because there is a value there.

What would really be neat would be to have the formula look for the month which I have coded as 1,2,3 ...12 where 2 = February, and take an average of column "C " the conversion rates and dump that value into M3. For each row of data I have code the month at D1 so that October's statement for example = 10

If that's too complicated I can manually do that part to get the value for M3 but I need the formula.

Thanks again

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
The first part I recon will be like this:
Excel Workbook
ABCDM
Sheet1

For the second.
Where do you keep your months?
or do you have columns with dates?

Upvote 0
I have an adjacent column originally with dates like Oct 13 -Nov 15 as per the statement but since my first two columns are transaction date and posted date I simplified this to 1, 2, 3...12 where 1 = January ,etc. This means if January has 23 record each records has a 1 .

Thanks for the help much appreciated.

Upvote 0
If you want to average based on C and then put the result in M1 you will get circular refernces as (in example) C2 will point back to M1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt3388

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back