Sharing Documents online.

Patience

Hey all, I wonder what your thoughts are on online document sharing/collaboration? We have serious issues at work which essentially stem from not having a reliable systems for multiple users in disparate locations editing a document.

We have 6 central departments and nine regional offices, and each month or so each one needs to provide a performance monitoring report (among other things). I spent a long time setting up a template for the charity to use, but because we have serious IT issues with our shared drive which basically renders it impossible for the regional offices to access, the lovely template I created was emailed to 15 people, and ended up being messed up in 15 unique ways. I have learnt a few lessons from the exercise about creating templates for all user abilities but the real issue came when my poor colleague was expected to clean it all up and put it all back together into the single master sheet. What should have been an 'open document and print' exercise turned into a week of hair pulling and general disarray and borderline nervous breakdowns. (Myself included!)

Having had a rant about this to colleagues I decided there must be an easier way so I have been looking into Google Docs. Firstly I don't think it is sophisticated enough, as it doesn't allow Excel sheets to be imported, rather it creates a basic version of them.

Do any of you have any experience of Google Docs, or other online document sharing tools? The basics that I would like is the ability to load .xlt and .xls files onto a secure location, and allow colleagues to edit and save. Any thoughts, experiences or advice will be appreciated. Or of course if you can think of a better way then that is just great too!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Hi Oaktree, I've had a look at the company and they look great but I feel that maybe using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It isn't something we would be able to spend a lot of money on (or any for that matter :rolleyes .) Google docs would be perfect if it allowed some of the slightly more advanced features of Excel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luis_Macros

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back