Setting up a test for students to get the right answer

RodneyW

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a sheet named DATA, I’ll use this as my source for information populating another sheet called CITY. From the DATA sheet, I’ll reference $D$4:$D$123 that contains a list of cities. Cells $E$4:$E$123 have a list of corresponding airport codes for each city listed in column D. I’m testing to see if students can enter the airport code associated with each city.

• On the sheet named CITY, in cell C5, I’d like it to randomly select one item from DATA!$D$4:$D$123.
  • Cell C4 would have a button with the text “NEXT” and when clicked, it would randomly select another item from DATA!$D$4:$D$123
  • Cell D5 is where students can enter their answer.
  • Cell E5 will be blank until the student enters their answer in D5. Once a student enters data into D5, E5 will display the corresponding airport code from DATA!$E$4:$E$123.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I'm getting close...
Cell E5 solution is a simple VLOOKUP.
Cell C5 has this code: =INDEX(Data!$D3:$D122,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA(Data!$D3:$D122))) This works BUT anytime I enter data into D5, C5 changes. This doesn't work because I need the process to test whether the value in D5 matches the value in E5. How can I make C5 stay the same until "NEXT" in C4 is clicked... I need codes for both C4 and C5.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Rodney let's get the ball rolling. Now I did install a command button over C5 but it doesn't show up. If you have a problem with installing and linking a command button let us know. Now usually this generates more questions than answers but we have to start some place.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub NextCity()
'  Note when you finally enter all the data you will have to update the D10 to what ever number in the last cell
Sheets("City").Range("C5").Formula = "=INDEX(Data!$D3:$D10,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA(Data!$D3:$D10)))"
'Just in case somebody deletes the formula in E5, you can run this line again
'Sheets("City").Range("E5").Formula = "=IF(D5="""","""",INDEX(Data!D3:E10,MATCH(City!C5,Data!D3:D10,0),2))"
'the next 3 lines deletes the formula in cell C5
Sheets("City").Range("C5").Copy
Sheets("City").Range("C5").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
Application.CutCopyMode = False
Sheets("City").Range("D5") = ""
Range("D5").Select

End Sub

24-07-20 rev C.xlsm
CDE
5New York  
City
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E5E5=IF(D5="","",INDEX(Data!D3:E10,MATCH(City!C5,Data!D3:D10,0),2))

24-07-20 rev C.xlsm
DE
3Los AngelesLAX
4San FranciscoSFO
5New York JFK
6PhoenixPHX
7DenverDEN
8MiamiMIA
9ChicagoORD
10BostonBOS
Data

Upvote 0
A marginally different approach.
You can use a button at C4 if you want but I just typed the word "NEXT" into cell C4 and used the double-click event code below to make the relevant changes. To implement this ..

1. Enter the word NEXT into C4 of the 'City' sheet.
2. Right click the 'City' sheet name tab and choose "View Code".
3. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 2.
4. Close the Visual Basic window & test by double-clicking C4 on the 'City' sheet.
5. Your workbook will need to be saved as a macro-enabled workbook (*.xlsm).

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
  Dim n As Long

Const DataAddress As String = "D4:E124" '<- Note this includes BOTH columns of data

If Target.Address(0, 0) = "C4" Then
    Cancel = True
    Randomize
    n = 1 + Int(Rnd() * Sheets("Data").Range(DataAddress).Rows.Count)
    Range("C5:E5").Formula = Array("=INDEX(Data!" & DataAddress & "," & n & ",1)", _
                                    "", _
                                    "=IF(D5="""","""",INDEX(Data!" & DataAddress & "," & n & ",2))")
  End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you all for your responses. I'm on vacation with my wife right now and I'll get back to trying your solutions in the next couple days.

thanks again

Upvote 0
Peter, I really enjoy this sight as I keep learning new things. Looking at your program I can see how I can improve on my programing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Peter and EZ, Thank you both for your help. I got it working using Peters suggestion, it's the first one I tried. I modified the cell references because I changed the structure of the data a little, but in any case it's working. The page referenced tests "Here's the city, tell me the airport code". I have another tab that tests "Here's the airport code, tell me the city". I've got another question regarding keeping score but that will come in another post. Thanks again to both of you.

=====
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
  Dim n As Long

Const DataAddress As String = "D7:E128" '<- Note this includes BOTH columns of data

If Target.Address(0, 0) = "H18" Then
    Cancel = True
    Randomize
    n = 1 + Int(Rnd() * Sheets("Data").Range(DataAddress).Rows.Count)
    Range("C18:E18").Formula = Array("=INDEX(Data!" & DataAddress & "," & n & ",1)", _
                                    "", _
                                    "=IF(D18="""","""",INDEX(Data!" & DataAddress & "," & n & ",2))")
  End If
End Sub
=====

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Glad the suggestion helped.
BTW, when posting vba code in the forum, please use the available code tags. It makes your code much easier to read/debug & copy. My signature block below has more details. I have added the tags for you this time. 😊

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeaux

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back