Selecting the last record

Melanie

Board Regular
I am working in Access97.

I have a table that has two fields: Parent Name and child's birthdate.

There are multiple records for each name because the parents could have more than one children. I want collapse the data so there is only one record per name and the youngest child's birthdate (aka largest date). Is there a way in the query to group by name and select the last date. When I try and do that, I don't always get the latest date. It does work however, if I first make a table of the data and then do the group by query.

I would much rather avoid having to do the intermediary step of making a table.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
It should do it by having a query with just those two fields in the grid with GroupBy on the name and Max for the date.

If that doesnt work can you post the SQL of what you are trying so that we can take a look at it.

peter

Upvote 0
Thank you.

One other similar dilemma: I have a table where I would like to group by field A and B and take the last record from field C. However, when I try using the last feature, I am not always getting the last record.

Upvote 0
Same rules apply :)
Just the Fields you need
GroupBy on A and B
Max on C

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
But I don't necessarily want the largest. I simply want the last record in the list. For example I am working with a transactional level database and I want the item in column C associated with the last transaction that was done. Even if I sort by columns A (name) and B (date), I do not necessarily get the last item associated with the latest date.

Upvote 0
try putting B in twice, once with group and again with Max. you will probably need to group on C as well

Peter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NghiVmexgdhh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back