Select Slicer Without the Mouse - Episode 2231

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Aug 23, 2018.
How to move focus to an Excel slicer using only the keyboard?
Can you use the keyboard in Excel to activate a slicer? Yes!
Alt, H, FD, O to enter Select Objects mode
Tab twice to get to first object
Once a slicer is selected, you can move the slicer with arrows
Tab again to move to Multi-Select, then Tab to Clear Filter then Tab to Slicer tiles.
More tabs will move to other objects and slicers
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast, Episode 2231, Select the Slicer with the Keyboard.
If you like what you see in this video, please subscribe and ring that bell.
Alright, so, yesterday, how to select the sheet tabs with a keyboard; today, how to select that freaking slicer.
It's not easy to do.
What you know is we have a slicer here, I'm going to show you how this works, and I want to add a Shape-- it's just a triangle-- and then I will add another Shape or an Illustration or something.
Cool, great.
And then, finally, come back into the PivotTable, Analyze, Insert Slicer, and a Slicer for Region, alright?
So generally, what we have here, is we have the Product slicer, the triangle, the icon, and then the Region slicer, and without using the mouse-- the mouse is broken, whatever-- I need to get to the Slicer.
Now, it's really, really funny that I inadvertently did this yesterday-- and it really annoyed me when I did it-- by going to Alt, and then R for review, and then A1 for check accessibility.
And it nagged me yesterday that the Region Slicer did not have Alt Text.
Right?
So you could use the F6 loop like we did yesterday, but let's ignore that, right?
Let's say that you have Alt Text on the slicer and that's just not going to work.
So we're sitting here in the Pivot Table and [ Inaudible at 00:01:44 ] house again, no mouse, and how do we get to the Slicer?
So here's what you have to do: Alt-- press and release Alt, H for home, and then on the far right hand side, find and select FD, and then O for objects.
Alright, now something happened but I don't know what.
I'm going to tab, and when I press Tab, I have put the focus on the Product slicer, but it's not what I want because when I arrow, I'm actually moving the slicer.
No good.
But check this out-- Tab again, and I'm now on the multi-select.
Alright, so you can see the controls now pass to the multi-select, press Tab again, and I move down to Apple, and I'll choose Apple.
Arrow down, choose Banana; arrow down, choose Cherry.
But, no, I really wanted to multi-select, so it's Shift+Tab, to back to clear filter, Shift+Tab again to the multi-select, now multi-select a selected tab to filter tab into the the tiles.
I'll press ENTER on Apple.
So now I have Apple and Cherry.
Alright.
Now, I want to get to the Region slicer, so from the tiles, the next tab that I press is going to select the next object that I created-- the triangle.
Tab again and I should be on the icon.
Bingo!
Tab again, and I'm that horrible state of Region where arrows are just going to move it, but then Tab again and now I'm on that multi-select, and down into the items.
Let me go back.
I want to Shift+tab, Shift+Tab, turn on the multi-select, clear the filter, and I should be-- yep, West, East, Central, alright so they're great out here because of the previous choices.
But you get the general idea.
And then from here, Tab one more time and we go back to the Product slicer.
And, again, at this point, the arrows don't do anything.
I have to Tab in-- alright-- now I'm on the multi-select, now I'm on the clear, press ENTER, and now I'm into the grid.
Alright, so it's doable-- it's doable.
Alt H, F, D, O, for objects, and you can tab between all of these.
Yeah, that's three days in a row with weird, pick-you and stuff, that most people will never have to deal with, but they don't call me the Cliff Clavin of Excel for nothing.
That stuff, everything, in the book, Microsoft Excel 2019 Inside Out.
Click that "I" on the top right hand corner.
Wrap-up for today: How to move focus to a slicer using only the keyboard-- Alt, H, F, D, O, Tab,Tab, Tab, and you should be in.
Thanks for stopping by, I'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugubara

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back