Security - Unable to Open Database

thesuggs76

Board Regular
Hi All

I worked with a database that had a database with the actual tables, a database with the queries and reports/forms. The tables from the data database i previously mentioned were linked to this one, and finally a MDW which provided security, usernames and passwords. I made a copy and moved it to another computer which is not running from the same network. When i try to open the database I get the message

"You do not have the necessary permissions to use the "then provides the path"

I think this is becuase the security path is no longer valid. Does anybody know how i can resolve this

Thanks

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
You did not say if the announced path is related to the new network or not, or if the message is from Access or Windows.
If it is Access and the old path, a database setting or startup routine that has the that path hard coded is likely the culprit.
If it is the new path and the message is from Windows, it is probably a security or permissions issue. Even if you get it open, you might find that Windows security disables the db code because the file came from another network or hard drive and has not been declared safe.
What to do depends on which of those two conditions it is and what file type your db is: accdb, accde, mdb, mde

Upvote 0
You did not say if the announced path is related to the new network or not, or if the message is from Access or Windows.
If it is Access and the old path, a database setting or startup routine that has the that path hard coded is likely the culprit.
If it is the new path and the message is from Windows, it is probably a security or permissions issue. Even if you get it open, you might find that Windows security disables the db code because the file came from another network or hard drive and has not been declared safe.
What to do depends on which of those two conditions it is and what file type your db is: accdb, accde, mdb, mde

Thanks for replying
How would i know if it is a Access or Windows message?
The file type of the database that I'm trying to open is mdb, with the secutiy one being mdw

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying
How would i know if it is a Access or Windows message?
If it's Access it will say so in the top of the error message title bar. If it is the name of the program/application, it is likely a custom error message box but still comes from Access. If you cannot create and delete a simple text file in the new target folder, it must be a permissions issue. If you can and the database still works where it was before, you will have to try using the shift bypass to open the db and examine what's going on during the startup process. I agree with Boyd that your issue is not related to the mdw file based on the error message you posted and the fact that you are trying to run this from somewhere new.

Upvote 0
If it's Access it will say so in the top of the error message title bar. If it is the name of the program/application, it is likely a custom error message box but still comes from Access. If you cannot create and delete a simple text file in the new target folder, it must be a permissions issue. If you can and the database still works where it was before, you will have to try using the shift bypass to open the db and examine what's going on during the startup process. I agree with Boyd that your issue is not related to the mdw file based on the error message you posted and the fact that you are trying to run this from somewhere new.

When I previously ran the database i did so via a shortcut on my desktop,
is it possible that the shortcut included the mdw file in it?

Upvote 0
I would say no. A shortcut can have switches telling it how to open a file, but it can only point to one file.

Upvote 0
You said you already have copy of the original .mdw file along with the database. Wherever you placed that .mdw file you must JOIN that Work Group Information file to open your database and work. Do the following:

1. Close MS-Access, if it is open.
  2. Browse to folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033 (US english language folder) and find the program WrkgAdm.exe file. If your regional language setting is different then instead of \1033 it will be something different.
  3. Double-click on WrkgAdm.exe to run. (This program is used for creating a new .mdw file or to join an existing Custom .mdw file.)
  4. A dialog box will appear, click on the Join button, find the .mdw file copy from its current location and select it.
  5. Click OK to exit the dialog box.
  6. You may open the database now and give your User Name & Password to login.
If you would like to know more about Microsoft Access Security check this out: Microsoft Access Security

Upvote 0
You said you already have copy of the original .mdw file along with the database. Wherever you placed that .mdw file you must JOIN that Work Group Information file to open your database and work. Do the following:

1. Close MS-Access, if it is open.
  2. Browse to folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033 (US english language folder) and find the program WrkgAdm.exe file. If your regional language setting is different then instead of \1033 it will be something different.
  3. Double-click on WrkgAdm.exe to run. (This program is used for creating a new .mdw file or to join an existing Custom .mdw file.)
  4. A dialog box will appear, click on the Join button, find the .mdw file copy from its current location and select it.
  5. Click OK to exit the dialog box.
  6. You may open the database now and give your User Name & Password to login.
If you would like to know more about Microsoft Access Security check this out: Microsoft Access Security

Sorry for taking so long to reply, been away on holiday. Unforunately i don't have access to my C drive so i can't do that. I think when i ran it before, i had this in the shortcu, i now don't have access to get it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmcquade91

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back