Securing the connection string of data access pages

Worsty

Board Regular
We are very interested in using data access pages for the web. Our biggest concern is the visibility of the connection string in the html page.

Is there any way to secure it? Is there any difference when using Oracle or SQL Server?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I haven't played with CGI's for a while but as I recall, this is one difference between a GET and a POST command in the code. One shows the string, the other does not. So, using Oracle or SQL Server is unlikely to make a difference here. You need to tackle the CGI statements.

Hope this helps
Denis

Upvote 0
OK -- when you click a form or button on an HTML page, some code in the form tells the Web server what to do. The processing is handled usually by a script on the server, known as a Computer Gateway Interface script. CGIs usually respond to one of two main commands from a from button -- GET and POST. GET is usually the preferred method, because it's easier to use. I've found a few links that go into more detail than I can muster:
A pretty technical one -- http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/methods.html
And a more succint one detailing why you should sometimes use POST instead of GET (ie privacy -- your issue here) -- http://inconnu.isu.edu/~ink/perl_cgi/lesson2/get_post.html

Hope that helps
Denis

Upvote 0
Would the connection string still be visible in the html page? This is our biggest concern.

Upvote 0
OK -- let's take a couple of steps back.
What version of Access do you use? 2000 can do Data Access pages, but XP and 2003 are better.
Because Microsoft likes to work with MS products, you'll most likely find that DAPs work more easily with SQL than Oracle.
Have you built any Data Access Pages yet? I've gone over a few screen shots in a book and I don't see any connection strings. If you have seen them, are they in teh URL bar or elsewhere?
Finally, the resource I just looked up (Access 2002 Inside Out -- Helen Feddema, ISBN 0-7356-1283-8) says that many ISPs don't allow you to publish DAPs to web site that they host. Your mileage may vary on this one, but it's worth checking out.

Sorry if my earlier comments misled you. I wasn't in front of a machine with Access at the time.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks for your notes. Actually, we have created several DAP's in Access 2000, but the issue we've been running into is that once the .htm page is created, if you right click the page you can view the connection string in the source threfore allowing anyone to get back to the database.

Upvote 0
I know it's possible to prevent people right-clicking pages that you create yourself -- it's a bit of Javascript -- but I'm not sure if it can be incorporated easily into a DAP.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deasejm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back