Search

elgringo56

In the search Query, I type the word Find or find then I select search topic or title. I get zero responses. I know there are topics with the word find in them. If I select to search topic and message text, I also get zero responses. Is this some kind of problem?

odd...one for Juan, I think...maybe the software treats 'find' as a reserved word (although you don't get the same results for 'search', which somewhat goes against the hypothesis)

Yes, "Find" being an actual instruction, which at the time is giving me a fit, its hard to locate a solution if you cant search for it.

Maybe try

Application.Find

as the search term... ?

That brings up six pages of post with the word application in it, which is of little assistance for "find". I had tried that before, had also tried "search", "lookfor" and just about any other thing I could think of that might have to do with finding, You just cant search on that word, yet I know there are many questions about it posted, there were two yesterday.

Got a long list using a wildcard (fin*). Of course you'll get every occurance of the word "fine" and other as well, but it may hit some of the topics you're looking for.

Good, R.K., however, not one of those has the word "find" as a stand alone word except for one that has .find, but also the word "finding" in it. For some reason the word "find" as a stand alone word can not be found in a search. Very strange.

Very strange. Ok, I just tried another search for *ind. This one did find standalone occurances of "find". Of course again, you'll have extra goodies found like "mind" and "kind". :)
It does seem to work though if you don't mind wading through a bunch of extraneous stuff like that.

That brings up two pages, one entry does have the stand alone word "find" in it, but also has another "ind" in it. Face it, you cant find the word find all by itself. My problem, of course, has been long since solved, but it seems very strange to me that we have a word here that others may also need to locate topic on, and it cant be located with search. Hmmmmm.

I'm glad you solved your problem, but I'm curious as to how you only got two pages of results using *ind. I just tried it again and it returned 7417 entries (371 pages).

FYI to anyone else following this thread...
I also tried another search using fin* AND *ind. This produced 764 entries (39 pages). Again, there were some entries that had no bearing on the word FIND, but several did indeed find the target word. It's a workaround but it did produce some results.

If anyone else has a definitive answer as to why the word "FIND" itself can't be searched for, feel free to jump in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gregs44132

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back