Search string too short

Domski

What happened to the old warning message you used to get when you searched for 'pdf' or 'sap' for example? Now you just get 'Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.' whereas before it used to explain that it wouldn't allow such short search strings which it still doesn't but is not clear.

Dom

Am I imagining that this message used to be shown?

Dom

I can't honestly remember. I have a vague recollection of seeing that message, but don't know if it was here or elsewhere.

Was definitely here. I remember because I'd posted a thread ages back about controlling Adobe Pro with Excel and, forgetting the limitation, used to search for pdf to find it and get the message. Just thought it was bit odd it had changed.

I only noticed because Hermanito was looking for a thread on SAP and was confused as to why he was getting no results.

Dom

Yes it use to say something about the search term being too short. They need a checkbox to allow searching for short words because I too have looked for things such as pdf and such and had no luck. BUT you can search for tags of 3 characters just for future reference.

I think the message you remember may have been from before the forum changed software some years ago now. I don't know if a warning message is available in this software or if searching for shorter words is possible now.

However, don't forget that you may be able to track down what you want by using Google's Advanced Search with the site set to MrExcel. For example, perhaps searching for something like "Domski pro pdf" here:
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=site:MrExcel.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugubara

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back