search form - filter search - sounds like search

march madness

I have a cd database that I would like to search on. I got the template from Microsoft Office Online.
http://office.microsoft.com/templat...igin=CT063459361033&CategoryID=CT063459361033

I'd like to be able to search on artist name, track name, album name, and I'd like to do it two ways: one by just filtering, ie, I'd have a drop down box of all artists, I'd select one, and then it would show me the CDs, and next, by a sounds like search. For instance, if I had the song, Jingle Bell Rock, I'd want to type in The Jingle Bell Rock, or Jingle and Rock or something like that. Or if I had songs by Tupac Shakur, I'd like to find them if I just wrote Tupac, or shakur, or Tupack, etc. Possible? I saw a post that was similar to what I was thinking about, but I couldn't figure out how to implement it. Also, I found a search form for a different db on the web that is the filter form that style that I want, I just don't know how to make it. I'm trying to provide a link so that someone can get it and see what I mean.

I've made this folder public, so everyone should be able to view it.
I've included the CD template as a zip file and as access file (in case the access file can't be opened) and the search form template. If you can help, please do. Thx!
[http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/poovite/lst?.dir=/Databases&.view=l

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
I'd like to be able to search on artist name, track name, album name, and I'd like to do it two ways: one by just filtering, ie, I'd have a drop down box of all artists, I'd select one, and then it would show me the CDs,
You want multiple combo boxes, easiest way would be to make multiple Select Queries. First make your form and combo boxes, in the data source of the properties of each combo box type
Code:
SELECT DISTINCT column_name FROM table name
Do this for all 3 combo boxes. next, Make 3 queries, one for artist, track name and album name, and make them so that one shows the records where the artists are equal to the combo box value in your form (use the build tool). Same for track name and same for album name. Then go back to your form, goto your combo box properties, goto Events, 'on click event' and make it sot hat it opens the relating query.

The search feature might be abit hard to do but possible. It will involve a query again, and the data shown is equal to the text typed or there abouts. Its something like
Code:
Select column_name FROM table_name
WHERE column_name Like "*text*";
The * is a wildcard, its best to look on the internet and look up some basic SQL stuff.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BudgetGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back