Search for Duplicate Record in Access

elephant97

Board Regular
Hi, I have a form that is used for data entry. My inputs are the following:

Date
Company
Item
Price

What I need to do, is have access search my table storing the information and refuse to save entries where the date and company already exist. So, if the table already has an entry is 8/19/04 for company ABC, a user cannont make another entry for 8/19/04 and company ABC. Rather, I would like access to load the record the user is trying to "overwrite". I suppose this could be accomplished via a VBA record search when the user attempts to save their entry.

My vision is that they would click the "Save" button on the form, an error message would pop-up, and then the record matching their inputted date and company would load.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
I would be designing a seperate table called something like Daily Company Prices and having both the Date and Company fields set jointly as the Primary Keys. Then only unique combinations of Company Names and Dates could be stored into it.

Other (linked) tables would most likely be Companies and Items.

HTH

Upvote 0
Sorry - I may have mislead you in my earlier response. You won't need an additional table to the table you already have.

Just re-design the current table to have both the Company and the Date fields as Primary Keys. Assuming that your data entry form has been designed as a pure data entry form, then if the Company-Date pair being entered already exists in your table, then MS Access will automatically display an error message and prevent users from entering such a duplicate Company-Date pair.

On the otherhand, iIf you really must have the pre-existing record displayed, then I think you need to alter the DATA ENTRY setting on the form properties.

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaseremad

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back