Seach form

Ed3m

Hi
I would lke to create form for a customer database, whereby the user enters a name or other details and is given customer details.
Thank you

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Hi, what have you set up so far? What tables and variables do you have? We might need a little more information to help you.
Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Hi
I already have a customer table which is linked to an order table. The only other table is stock table. Customer table holds details on name, address etc and the order table just shows what they've orded. What I would like is form where the user can enter any relevant customer details and be given a list of matches or the customers order details. What are variables?

Upvote 0
Hi, in answer to this question :
What are variables?
I'm showing my age - I meant fields in the table.

In answer to your original question :
I would lke to create form for a customer database, whereby the user enters a name or other details and is given customer details.
This has been asked recently and you will find some information on how to do this here and here

Conceptually, you need to have the link fields (customer id for the customer/orders & product id for the products/orders) linked in the relationship screen, create a query with all of the bits of data you want to see on the form from the relevant tables (customers & orders or orders & products or all three) and then build a form based on the query. You can then disable the bits of information that you don't want the user to change in the form design - such that if the user selects a customer (or product) id then the customer name (or product name) will show but the user can't change it.

Let us know if this is not on the right track.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Hi
That could work however, in my case could a text box be used to enter the name etc and a subform used to show the details?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi, typically a main form / subform setup is used where there is a one-to-many relationship and you show the parent or header items in the main form and the child or detail items in the subform. There is an MS article on subforms here that might help you.

In my opinion, you shouldn't be using this sort of setup to display the client details in the subform when you select a client in the main form. Rather the subform should be used to display the orders for the client you select in the main part of the form. Rather than enter the name into a text box, have you considered using a drop down combo box instead? There are many advantages to using these on forms and they are explained in an MS article here.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back