SDRAM density: a bit of confusion

dogdrovenorth

I'm having some trouble buying the correct memory for an upgrade to 1GB from 512MB.

I've run a program that determines the memory the motherboard can use and it returns 32x8 as the important figure. Further research tells me 64x4 won't work because it's high-density; it causes WIN32 to complain about a lack of memory and makes the computer hang.

I purchased 512MB SDRAM 168-pin pc133 low-density memory, but when compared with my existing SDRAM it was narrower (didn't stand as tall when in place) and had a complete run of chips (rather than 4, a gap, then another 4).

The only memory I have been successful with to date is called MTEC. Please could someone help me find the correct terminology for the memory I am looking for, and perhaps where I could find it?

I hope you don't mind me posting on a random subject. I'm Emma's husband and she tells me you guys know everything!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
I do not know what that link is all about which Mr. Richard has posted - because I am at office right now.

Now, according to my understanding - I am providing you a bit of information:

SD-RAM: Synchronous Dynamic - Randomn Access Memory. RAM as in Realtime Memory is available at different speeds. RAM Speed is measured in MegaHertz. A suitable RAM type is installed suited to the computer's motherboard and processor.

SDRAM is the type of RAM which used to be utilized on older (previous) motherboards, mainly with CISC (Complex Instruction Sets Computing) processors like INTEL Pentium 2, 3 & 4. SDRAM is nowadays out-of-date and is not available that easily because of the advancement in Computer Technology. Atleast in India it is very difficult to find SDRAM chipsets.

SDRAM is replaced by DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM as on today. This type of RAM is more common in respect to today's computer technology. DDR is installed on CISC based machines like INTEL CORE 2 DUO, CENTRINO, etc.

You need to figure out what machine you have at the moment. All the machines have one primary unit called the MOTHERBOARD. It is the MOTHERBOARD that would be responsible to provide memory to the processor. It depends upon the MOTHERBOARD slots for the amount of RAM that can be installed in the machine.

IMHO, I would suggest that you should contact your Hardware vendor, understand this technology and the amount of RAM that can be installed on your machine. One you get this information, you would be able to take decisions without any hassles.

Good Luck :-D

I'm with Richard - Crucial has a very good reputation and crucially (see what I did there? :) ) they guarantee that whatever RAM the memory selector tells you to buy will be 100% compatible with your system or they will give you your money back.

Thank you, Emma. Or should I call you Lois? :biggrin:

Not in my experience. Once it tells you what you need, you can always shop around at sites like Kingston too. RAM is generally dirt cheap these days (unless, like me, you still have RDRAM in a machine)

The only difference I can see is that Crucial seems to be telling you to get 64M x 64, whereas the part you have, and your software program's recommendation, is 32 x 8.
Are you getting POST errors when you boot up? What motherboard do you have? (and is the PC self-build or an off-the-shelf job?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djjamesp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back