decli

I have the following columns of data which are pulled from a form:
A Left (number)
B Right (number)
C DNA Gender (text M F)
D Age group (number)
E Height (number)​

I would like to create a scatter chart showing the following:

Gender on the Vertical (aggregated, so that are only two values)
Left AND Right values horizontally (two colors)

Here's a hand drawn example:
Document_2.pdf

gender-weights.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xc6wc1g6kjp6zsq/gender-weights.jpg?dl=0

The goal is to ultimately demonstrate that Male values for Column A & B are greater than Female.

Can someone guide me in how to make this happen please?
I've tried and tried and just can't get everything to connect correctly. :confused:

Thank you, Decli

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
We need a small example of the data in order to help you.

Is it set up like this,

A
B
C
Left
RightGender
5478M
6723F
4742F

<colgroup><col span="3"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

or like this,

A
B
C
Left
RightGender
78M
67F
47F

<tbody>
</tbody>

or something completely different?

Upvote 0
Here is a data sample. It's like the top option. Thank you for your assistance :rolleyes:

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
RIGHTLEFTDNA GENDER
27.2227.22M
27.2227.22F
25.427.22M
22.6831.90F
27.8228.73F

<colgroup><col style="width: 100px"><col width="100"><col width="100"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I have a version as a scatter chart.

The left and right values are the x values in the chart. Copy those two columns, to a blank area of the worksheet. Separate the new columns with two blank columns. We need the blank columns for formulas. Looks like this:

Book1
ABCDEFGHI
1Original DataSeries 1Series 2
2RightLeftGenderRightLeft
351.7735.69M51.77335.693
460.8847.32M60.88347.323
529.5666.76M29.56366.763
622.7443.34F22.74143.341
744.3475.74F44.34175.741
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F3=IF($C3 = "M", 3, 1)
I3=IF($C3 = "M", 3, 1)

I used 3 for the y values for M and 1 for the F's y values. The formulas are shown above.

Select the data in columns E and F, from E2:F2 and down in the example. Insert a scatter chart with markers and no line. I formatted this series markers to 7 pts, no border, solid fill, darkish blue with 60% transparency. Don't fuss with other chart object formatting, just yet.

Now select the second series data and Ctrl+c copy it. Next, select the chart. On the ribbon, select the Home tab. Under the big clipboard Paste icon is a small downward pointing triangle—click that triangle. Choose Paste Special. Make sure the buttons and checkboxes look like this, below, and then click OK.

L4jIUPv.png

This second series is formatted just like the first but I used a medium-deep red as the base.

Now we set up a series for the divider:

Book1
KL
1Midline
2My_XDivider
Sheet1

Select K2 through L4, copy it, then select the chart, and paste the cells into the chart, using the Paste Special from the ribbon, exactly as before.

Format this new series to have a line, 0.75 pts width, almost-black color and no markers.

Format the x-axis to fixed 0–90 scale. Adjust to taste.

Add the legend. Select the legend, then click again directly on top of the Divider legend entry. Press delete. This gets rid of that entry and only the Right and Left series remain in the legend box.

Select the vertical axis. Format it to a fixed scale of 0 to 4. Then we give that axis a custom Number scale. In Excel 2013 and later, its down at the bottom on the same pane as the axis scale options, under "Number".

Select the Category "Custom". In the box Labeled "Format Code", next to the Add button, type in:
Code:
[=1]"F";[=3]"M";
The semicolons are important. Then click the Add button. The M and F appear as labels and the numbers disappear

You may have to tweak the plot area size inside the chart. After this step, my axis labels got shifted too far to the left and I had to do a correction.

Remove any gridlines you don't want. Tweak the formatting and it should look something like this:

tKKlIlv.png

My workbook may be downloaded from: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zbi65sgwctke07/declis_chart.xlsx?dl=0

Upvote 0
Oh dear, dear, dear Old Man.... This is exactly what I had hoped for! It's beautiful! The data is being populated from an online jotform into a google sheet - which is loved for it's convenience, but loathed because it's "not" excel. Is there a way to duplicate your magic in google sheets? If not, I can try to find a way to connect share date between the two. Thank you for any further wisdom you can impart. Kindly, Decli

Upvote 0
Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad it fills your expectations.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Google Docs, other than once visiting it. If you run into difficulties, you can ask for help in a new thread in [on?] these forums, under "General Excel Discussion & Other Questions", and link to this thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back