Scalable identity matrix

mill

Hi -

I have two ranges in Excel that contain vectors of numbers. While the two ranges/ vectors are the same length, there are multiple sets of such vectors of varying lengths. I'd like to develop a formula where I can use an identity matrix as part of the computation with dimensions equal to the length of the input vectors.

For instance, suppose I have a vector of numbers in Excel range A1:A4 and another in Excel range B1:B4. Currently, I have to manually enter the identity matrix, as in the following CSE formula:
{=A1:A4/TRANSPOSE(B1:B4)*{1,0,0,0;0,1,0,0;0,0,1,0;0,0,0,1}}

Please let me know if anyone has a solution. I am limited in that I cannot use VBA in the current operating environment. I would also like to avoid having to alter the spreadsheet to include metadata (i.e. creating an identity matrix in a new range and using the OFFSET() function) as well as using the MINVERSE() function as not all matrices are invertible and there appear to be some precision issues in Excel with its use (i.e. using `A1:A4*MINVERSE(A1:A4)` to create the identity matrix).

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Here is a really late answer, but Excel 2013 now introduces the MUNIT(4) function to generate the 4x4 identity matrix.

{=A1:A4/TRANSPOSE(B1:B4)*MUNIT(4)} will work provided you never have to open the workbook in Excel 2010 or earlier...

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I fully understand, but maybe...?

=(A1:A4/TRANSPOSE(B1:B4))*((ROW(A1:A4)-ROW(A1))=(TRANSPOSE(ROW(B1:B4)-ROW(B1))))

Upvote 0
Really late answer but may be still useful for somebody. (I tested this in Excel 2010.)
Define a name for the identity matrix dimension, say "n". Give it a value, say 5.
Define a name for the identity matrix itself, say "I". Its value should be the formula:
=1*(ROW(OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,n,n))=COLUMN(OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,0,n,n)))

That's it! You can check it for instance by giving values to a 5x5 range array, say in cells A1 to E5; then selecting a different 5x5 range, say F1 to J5, typing "=A1:E5 - I" and CSEntering. The range F1 to J5 should appear populated wiht the proper values.

P.S:: I translated the function names from the spanish Excel version. Hopefully I did it right.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back