Saving Techniques in Excel

lui

Hello all,

I'm trying to write a macro to save a spreadsheet everyday according to it's date. For example, I want to save to spreadsheet as "spreadsheet_050303" on 5/03/03 and "spreadsheet_050403" on 5/04/03. I tried saving the document as "spreadsheet_&date" but didn't succeed. Can anyone provide some insight into this matter? Thanks very much!!

-Will

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Try this as your file name:

"spreadsheet_" & Format(Now(), "mmddyy")

Upvote 0
Here's a sample code that will do what you wish.

Code:
Sub SaveMe()

ThisWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=ThisWorkbook.Path & "spreadsheet_" & Format(Date,"mmddyy") & ".xls"

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your help. The techniques worked great without any complication. Another great tip retrieved from MrExcel.com !!!

Upvote 0
Try this and see if it works for you. Let me know if it causes problems.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)

Application.EnableEvents = False

If Not SaveAsUI Then

Me.SaveAs FileName:=Me.Path & "\spreadsheet_" & Format(Date, "mmddyy") & ".xls"

Else

Dim strFile As Variant
    Cancel = True

strFile = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(FileFilter:="Microsoft Excel Files (*.xls),(*.xls)" _
              , initialfilename:="spreadsheet_" & Format(Date, "mmddyy") & ".xls")

If strFile <> False Then Me.SaveAs FileName:=strFile

End If

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I'm trying to save an Excel document that automatically attaches the date. For example, I would like to save a document as document_050303 on 5/3/03 and document_061503 on 6/15/03. I have used a macro successfuly but have not figured out how to do this when doing "save as" manually. Thanks very much!!

-Will

Upvote 0
Thanks TommyGun for the advice. Your macro worked very nicely. Out of curiosity, I tried saving the excel manually by typing document_$(date) for 5/20/02 and nothing happened. Is there another technique to be used when saving files manually through the "save as" textbox? Thanks again for your help

-Will

Upvote 0
You could add a line with an Inputbox:

myDate = InputBox("Enter the date in mm/dd/yy format")

then in the place where you would normally have the date in your macor, just use myDate.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure there is any way to use a function to generate the current date when using Save as manually. At least, never have heard of it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eccymarge

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back