Saving as tab-delimited file, commas interfere with column parsing

theDrew

Board Regular
Hello all,

I regulary receive from a client a data transfer file that I must open in Excel to edit and then save as a Tab-delimited file for importing into a database. If a field has a comma in it, such as

123 45th St., Apt. 18

then Excel saves the field in the Tab-delimited file as:

"123 45th St., Apt. 18" (surrounded by quotes) This causes my database import process to error out.

The source file is comma-delimited. We have tried using a pipe | delimited file, but the same error still occurs. For reasons beyond my control, the client cannot feasibly save the source data as a tab-delimited file. Help?

The current procedure:

- The client sends me the file as a comma-delimited .txt file in the format
"M","Smith ","Mary","J"," ","19591106"...etc for several dozen more columns
- I open the file in Excel via the Text Import Wizard, with a comma as the delimiter and all fields set to Text value
- I make the necessary edits
- I save the file as type Text (Tab Delimited)
- I then open the newly saved Tab Delimited file in Notepad to verify that everything is correct. All fields export correctly EXCEPT for those that contain a comma. They are export in quotes "texthere" as shown above.

How can I work around this problem? I have tried everything and can find no feasible solution.

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
What about deleting the commas in the original data, or replacing them with another character such as ;

Upvote 0
Gerald, thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried that already but could not figure out how to differentiate between a comma that acts as a delimiter and a comma that is part of a field value.

Someone suggested that I use Access to open the data rather than Excel. The abovementioned problem does not occur in Access...but now we will see what new problems I have created!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terrynelson55

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back