Sample data is missing

CodeManWA

I bought your book "Power Pivot for the Data Analyst". It would be much easier to follow if you actually had the sample data used in the exercises. I was able to follow the beginning exercises using the demo.txt file and storeinfo but the rest of the excel fies that appear to correspond to each chapter are more or less empty and only have the link to purchase the book. Perhaps I am just missing something here but I would have assumed that you would have sample dta that corresponds to each exercise in the book. Am I supposed to findmy own data to use for this?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
That is the file that I downloaded (several times, in case it had been updated) but I have still be unable to find the data for some of the Chapter 5 examples.
If you do find it, it would be appreciated if you could 'post' a clue please.

I just downloaded the files from the link above and opened them on a fresh computer with Excel 2010 and PowerPivot.

Every file does open with a Cover worksheet that shows the book and a link to buy the book.

From there, you should go to the PowerPivot window (Alt+gy1 to find the data.

Derek; I checked the workbooks for chapter 5:
5-AlphaNumeric.xlsx has data on Sheet1 and two tables in the PowerPivot window.
5-ConcatKey.xlsx has data on Sheet5, Sheet4, Sheet1, and 3 tables in the PowerPivot window.

Bill

Hello Bill,
Thank you very much for your update.
I think that perhaps I was looking for something that was never intended to be incuded in the sample files - that is, the data in Figure 5.1 (three tables). Checking through the book, particularly for a reference to 'Invoice', it is now clear that the data is not used elsewhere and therefore intended that the tables be manually created by the reader.
Regards
Derek

Dear Mr/ Excel

I had just started a thread in the power pivot forums on the exact same issue

I wasted some time looking for the data in tables 5.1. last night and then i just typed them in

What is more for the data you do have - we have to go into the power pivots, retreive it and then copy it into a seperate work book. Or recopy the tables into values. That is after we figure out where to find the data (which is not too bad but still not as easy as it should be).

If i might make a few constructive suggestions:

- All files should have the exact reference - i.e. 5.1, 5.2a, etc. - this includes the store info used at the front of the book
- All files should have a raw data version and a completed version - this allows us to "work" through the example and then check the "answer"
- All tables in the book should have a corrosponding file, not table where you walk through steps should be missing.

The book is quite good ( 8 to 9 /10 IMHO) but it could lose a point or even two because of this one small thing. Please consider make these minor fixes.

Signed

Memeber of the Mr Excel Fan Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukmana_sam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back