Same Day, Different Month

ctgrib

I need to calculate a date field that takes the current date, subtracts a month and then returns a date equal to "new month/20/year". For instance, the date I would return for today is 02/20/04. Any help is appreciated!!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I'm doing something identical in a program I am developing.

Private Sub Whatever()

Dim MyMonth As Integer

MyMonth = Month(Date)
MyMonth = MyMonth - 1

End Sub

Upvote 0
If you are trying to return the date in a calculated query field, simply use:
MyDate: DateSerial(Year(Now()),Month(Now())-1,20)

Upvote 0
Thanks, the second suggestion does exactly what I needed. Curious, can I use this same language to add a month (substituting "+" for "-")? I tested and cannot get it to work . . .

Upvote 0
Let me give you some additional information . . .I am not using the Now() as I am actually trying to create the new date from a date already populated. So, I am trying to add one month, and change the day using:

MyDate: DateSerial(Year([Contract Effective Date]), Month([Contract Effective Date]+1),20)

For a contract effective date of 04/01/04, it is returning MyDate as 04/20/04. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
You have a parenthesis is the wrong place in the month portion. Try:

MyDate: DateSerial(Year([Contract Effective Date]), Month([Contract Effective Date])+1,20)

As you had it written, it would add 1 day to the Contract Effective Day and take that month. Adding 1 day to 4/1/04 would give you 4/2/04, and taking that month would give you 4.

Upvote 0
-this is really a tip, and if your above works, it is unnecesary.

Something else to try should your date fields go awry.
I never had the curiosity to look to see why this worked, but I noticed that sometimes, when pulling a date from a field functions that should work did not...until...I used the Trim() function before comparing it or performing calculations.

So something like:

Code:
MyDate: DateSerial(Year([Contract Effective Date]), Month([Contract Effective Date]+1),20)

Would become:

Code:
MyDate: DateSerial(Year(TRIM([Contract Effective Date])), Month(TRIM([Contract Effective Date])+1),20)

Again, I'm not sure what odd condition this fixes (sometimes). It might be something quirky about how the field was created, etc etc.

Just something to try when it appears that it *should* work.

Mike

Upvote 0
Mike,

Interesting. But it appears that the problem is simply a problem with an incorrect formula (see my previous post).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies everyone (even though this wasn't my question!) Using the following statement:

DateSerial(Year(Now()),Month(Now()),1-1)

Solves a problem I had in setting the correct date for the last day of the previous month... and eliminates a LOT of extraneous If...Then code!

(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KENNETH ROGERS

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back