Sad, but true

Mr_Stability

1 Many years ago,(in win 3.1 days) I was running an into to PC's & MS office course for the secretaries & PA's in small groups. I'd beed explaining the importance of keeping backup copes on flopps, preferably more than one, as the old 5.25" disks were easy to ruin. Anyway, this (slightly ditzy) secretary took her backup floppy to the photocopier, and duly took a copy. She was surprised when the disk wasn't recognised by her PC. What's the static potential in a photocopier anyway?

2 In the same company: I got a call from the Systems Administrator at a remote site to say that his main server wouldn't boot. He was panicking, and seemed reluctant to go into detail. so I paid a site visit (Armed with a complete set of Server & Workstation install disks). When I got there, I found that he'd MOVED (not copied) most of the system files from the server to his workstation - he said he just wondered what all those files were!.
Anyway, After I'd reinstalled the OS & Software on the server, and on the print server and all six workstations, and reset all user passwords to 'password', I asked where his backups were .. At this point he whent white and started sweating "What backups?".

I found a 4 month old set and restored from those. Fortunately the users all had boxes of floppies with their work backed up.

3 And the other secretary who printed each line as she typed it because "It's not real until its on paper".

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
...I just had to show the office IT guy how to add numbers in Excel.

The IT guy.

He didn't know how to write a SUM function (or even =A1+B1+C1, apparently).

That's just wrong. :huh:

Or having to show a Test Engineer how to print a worksheet "You know, sideways...not right side up, but sideways..."

Me: "You mean Landscape?"

Him: "I guess...."

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was too busy putting paper in the fax machine of one of our sales managers.

Apparently he didn't succeed in that without blocking the machine...

found on PC of IT-manager
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
MsgBox "please enable macros!", 48, "ERROR"
End Sub

Obviously, he doesn't visit www.mrexcel.com, or he would have found a solution for that.

EDIT:
Seems like he doesn't lock his workstation, either. :twisted:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattyM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back