Running Workbook with Pace

Hydestone

Board Regular
I've been tracking my run information in an Excel workbook. The basic information I want to record is distance in miles, duration of run, and average pace.

I'd like to enter the distance (miles) and duration (minutes) and have it calculate my pace.

Additionally, I'd like to tally up duration and distances for the week and give me average pace per mile for the weekly data.

The problem I am having is that whenever I enter the duration information, Excel changes it to a date format. I've tried different MM:SS combinations, but nothing seems to work properly.

Any suggestions on how to enter time into the spreadsheet without it being converted to a date/time?

I assume I could then divide that by mileage to get pace.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Not sure I understand your problem. In the example below, C2 and D2 are both formatted as "mm:ss" - the pace is 7 minutes and 5 seconds per mile. Is this what you want?
Excel Workbook
ABCD
1DateDistance (mi)Duration (mm:ss)Pace (Mins/Mile)
25/8/20176.3544:5807:05
Sheet1

Upvote 0
For some reason, when I format the cells as mm:ss (from the format cells > custom menu) I get a different result. When I enter 45:16, the result in the cell is 16:00. The formula bar for the cell displays 1/1/1900 9:16:00 PM.

Upvote 0
For some reason, when I format the cells as mm:ss (from the format cells > custom menu) I get a different result. When I enter 45:16, the result in the cell is 16:00. The formula bar for the cell displays 1/1/1900 9:16:00 PM.
Sorry, forgot to tell you to enter the time in hh:mm:ss format. In your example that's 00:45:16. The formula bar should show 12:45:16 AM (i.e. 45 minutes and 16 seconds past the stroke of midnight - effectively 0 hour.

Upvote 0
Ah, that does it! So the format of the cells should be mm:ss, but entered in as hh:mm:ss. For the weekly total, I should probably format to hh:mm:ss.

Thanks Joe

Upvote 0
Ah, that does it! So the format of the cells should be mm:ss, but entered in as hh:mm:ss. For the weekly total, I should probably format to hh:mm:ss.

Thanks Joe
You are welcome - thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renslaw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back