Running an access database without Microsoft Access

Phanmore

Board Regular
I was wondering if someone could help me or point me in the right direction.

I am looking to create a database for my office. However, I am the only one with Microsoft Access on my Machine.

The cost involved in adding licences for all other machines in the office is not viable, however, I did read that using the developers edition, there is a way to add an additional file to allow machines to run an access database without installing Microsft Access on the machine.

Could someone let me know how easy or how difficult this would be to set up all the machines (about 30 ) in the office to run a MS access database without MS access.

Also, is there anything else I should take in to consideration if I go down this route?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
I wonder what you want to do. How much functionality do users need.

mdb files can be set up without MS Access. The office applications at a low level are set up to work efficiently with databases. From VBA in Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, etc one can create mdb files - without MS Access being installed. And queries, etc. Also, from any of these applications you can set up queries to an mdb file - such as with ADO.

I rarely use MS Access, mostly being an Excel user. If you have one Access licence and set up a database, other users can interact with it from Excel. From Excel (or whatever application you use) users can execute all manner of SQL and likely do most of what you want. It may not do everything you want, but then again it might...

Upvote 0
What version of Access do you have? You should be able to use the free Access 2007 or 2010 runtime. You install that on the users' machines and then they can run it. However, you have to make sure that you provide a startup form for them and also good error handling and, if you are using 2007/2010 a Ribbon for them or alternate methods of doing things.

You can get the runtime for 2007 here and for 2010 here. Prior versions the runtime was not provided for free. Also, it may be possible for you to use the 2007 or 2010 runtime with Access 2000, 2002 or 2003 files. I have not used them before with those runtimes so I don't know.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of your answers.

I'm not trying to do anything too complex. All I want to achieve is creating a few forms for people to be able to view data. I could do this through Excel, however, I think a database suits my needs better for this project.

I'm running access 2003. I'll have a look at the 2007 and 2010 run time versions of access to see if they are compatible.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSH10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back