Return value from cell when lookup data is in an array

GA3

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
I have a lot of UPC codes that are listed in an array A1:H300. In Column J is a product's brand name associated with the UPC codes from that row. I am trying to return the brand name in another workbook by looking up the UPC from the array. I just can not figure out how to do it and I apologize for not knowing what to call this if the post already exists.

Please help.
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Try

=VLOOKUP(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!A1:J300,10,0)

Where Sheet1!A1 is the UPC code

Note I've extended the range to A1:J300 to use the VLOOKUP formula.
Sheet2!A1:J300 is the range on another sheet.
I've used another Sheet cos Ive used A1 as both a lookup value and part of the range.
Change Sheet1!A1 to wherever your UPC code is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Special-K99 but this only works if the upc I am looking for is in column A. Otherwise it returns an #N/A.

The UPC can exist in any of the A1:H300 cells. I need it to read the whole range array to find the UPC and then tell me what is in that row in column J.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but that sounds like a ridiculous layout.
You shouldn't have something important like a lookup code and bury it in the middle of a bunch of other less valueble data. I'm thinking needle in a haystack.

I suspect this is out of your control though.

So what constitutes a UPC ?
If I have a row like

ABC 123 DEF GHI

and DEF is my UPC how would I know that the UPC is not ABC or 123 or GHI ?

Upvote 0
Does a particular UPC code only ever appear once in the range A1:H300?

Upvote 0
Try something like:

=VLOOKUP(lookupvalue,CHOOSE({1,2},UPCrange,J1:J300),2,0)

UPCrange is the range within A1:H300 which houses the UPC codes.

Upvote 0
Yes, it is out of my control unfortunately.

I am given a file that has product brands in one column with all of their upc's in 1 excel cell. I have no control over that export as it comes from a 3rd party. The only good thing about this is they are comma separated in that cells so I can use "Text to Columns" to split those UPC codes in their own columns. This is what causes the multiple columns and still be located by the data I am still needing to reference. If I separate the data away and put the upc's in 1 column to do a traditional VLOOKUP, then I do not have the Brand data to accompany it (there are other data fields too, I am just trying to simplify the request).

A UPC is the bar code you see on retail products that you purchase. Usually consisting of 10-15 numerical characters.

So I have Brand in a column and 1234567890, 1234567891, 1234567892 etc in columns that are associated with that brand.

This is why I am trying to find the UPC in the array and then reference the column that has the brand name in it when I look it up from another document. I get new files every couple weeks so doing the leg work the long way wouldn't help me as data changes.

I am just left banging my head :oops:

Upvote 0
Aladin, How would I use that if the VLOOKUP was on Sheet2 but the data is on Sheet1?

Try something like:

=VLOOKUP(lookupvalue,CHOOSE({1,2},UPCrange,J1:J300),2,0)

UPCrange is the range within A1:H300 which houses the UPC codes.

Upvote 0
Are any of your responses the answer to my question?
If so, which one?
If not, could you address that please?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back