Return column header name for item located in an array

kgartin

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a list of names in one column. Those names are spread among 3 separate columns, each with a header name for each column. I need a formula that will list the header name beside each name.

FOR INSTANCE:

I have a list of names in column F1:F6
F1 = Bob
F2 = Roy
F3 = Tom
F4 = Sandy
F5 = Jill
F6 = Randy

Cell A1 is named GROUP 1 and under that header in cells A2:A4 are Bob, Roy, Tom
Cell B1 is named GROUP 2 and under that header in cells B2:B3 are Sandy, Jill
Cell C1 is named GROUP 3 and under that header in cell C2 is Randy

What formula can be written in cell G1 that can be copied down through cell G6 that will list the proper header beside each name, a-like so:

G1 = GROUP 1
G2 = GROUP 1
G3 = GROUP 1
G4 = GROUP 2
G5 = GROUP 2
G6 = GROUP 3

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Try

prueba carga siniestros.xlsx
ABCDEFG
1Group 1Group 2Group 3BobGroup 1
2BobSanRanRoyGroup 1
3RoyJilTomGroup 1
4TomSanGroup 2
5JilGroup 2
6RanGroup 3
Hoja1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G1:G6G1=INDEX($A$1:$C$1,0,SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$C$4=F1)*COLUMN($A$1:$C$1)))
PERFECT! Thank you!

As a follow up, if I wanted to take the names listed in the array (A2:C4) and populate them as the list in cells F1:F6, what formula would I write in Cell F1 and copy down to F6 to make that happen?

Right now I'm using vstack (see below) but I think it (or maybe one of my indirect formulas) is causing an undisclosed issue. In addition to the indirect functions listed in my formula below, the sheet also references other sheets based on user input using other indirect functions. I have a couple of weird gremlins that I cannot figure out and that are too complicated for me to describe right now.
Code:
=VSTACK(INDIRECT("B6:B" & IF(SUMPRODUCT(MAX((B6:B50<>"")*ROW(B6:B50)))=0,6,SUMPRODUCT(MAX((B6:B50<>"")*ROW(B6:B50))))),INDIRECT("C6:C" & IF(SUMPRODUCT(MAX((C6:C50<>"")*ROW(C6:C50)))=0,6,SUMPRODUCT(MAX((C6:C50<>"")*ROW(C6:C50))))),INDIRECT("D6:D" & IF(SUMPRODUCT(MAX((D6:D50<>"")*ROW(D6:D50)))=0,6,SUMPRODUCT(MAX((D6:D50<>"")*ROW(D6:D50))))))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if I wanted to take the names listed in the array (A2:C4) and populate them as the list in cells F1:F6, what formula would I write in Cell F1 and copy down to F6

The following formula gives you the data of the 2 columns F and G, and If you want to sort the results by group:
Excel Formula:
=SORT(LET(a,A2:C10,b,A1:C1,c,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN(",",TRUE,a),,","),VSTACK(c,BYROW(c,LAMBDA(br,INDEX(b,0,SUMPRODUCT((a=br)*COLUMN(b))))))),2,1,FALSE)

Ex:
1725939372364.png

Note: I assume you have excel 365.
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

😇

Upvote 0
the sheet also references other sheets
If the names are on another sheet, for example Sheet1:

Excel Formula:
=SORT(LET(a,Sheet1!A2:C10,b,Sheet1!A1:C1,c,TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN(",",TRUE,a),,","),VSTACK(c,BYROW(c,LAMBDA(br,INDEX(b,0,SUMPRODUCT((a=br)*COLUMN(b))))))),2,1,FALSE)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back