Resetting records within a database

bhunecke

I've got a database I put together that we use to keep records for a youth sports organization. At the end of the season there are two tasks I am trying to figure out if I can automate.
1. Clearing selected pieces of information within each record. For example the team a player is assigned to will change from year to year, but his or her address will not. Is there a way to selectively clear fields that do change.
2. Also, each year the children are another year older. Is there a way to automatically increase the values of certain fields by a predetermined value, say add one to each?

Any help is appreciated.

bjh

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I think you should probably think about restructuring your database.

You should have a seperate table containing player information, including a unique ID, say an AutoNumber.

And you should have a seperate table listing team names (and any other team info eg sport), again with a unique ID.

Then create a table called say Teams with two fields PlayerID and TeamID.

In design view for the teams table use the Lookup up tabs for these fields to the names from the other two tables.

Upvote 0
I agree with Norie that a re-organisation may be in order. Regarding the players ages, have you considered storing their date of birth rather than their age? Then the age can be determined via a query with something like this :
DateDiff("yyyy", [DOB], Date()) - IIf(Month(Date()) < Month([DOB]), 1, IIf(Month(Date()) = Month([DOB]) And Day(Date()) < Day([DOB]), 1, 0))
HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aiden Jenner

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back