Required Yes/No Selection: How?

Elysyn

Hello! I have a question that seems to me rather elementary, however I am very new to Access. I've tried several combinations of the question in the help file within Access and haven't gotten an answer that works. At any rate, here is the problem:

I am creating a form for a logging database, and I have three selections that I absolutely need to have answered every time a log is entered. I don't want it to default to either yes or no, because that would bypass the requirement. I guess my question in a nutshell is, Can you split a checkbox/option button into two selections, one for yes and one for no?

Please let me know if my question is unclear in anyway. I thank you all in advance for your time!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hi Elysyn

You could add a couple of option buttons, one for Yes and one for No, or a checkBox to add a tick into, but then you will need some code to interperate that choice and add the data into a table.

Why don't you just create your own dropdown list with Yes and No. Display Control must be set to ComboBox and then adding a Value List to the "Row Source Type" and "Yes", "No" to the Row Source of the Lookup tab in the table design view.

Then when you open your form in datasheet view, when you select the field when adding a new record , you will have a blank space and you can choose "Yes" or "No". This way you have no option selected until you explicitly choose the option you want.

If you have a Form, the same will apply.

Create your form by Right_Clicking the table and Saveas a Form. Then right click the control on the form that refers here and Change_To a combo box. Then add the above to the Row source Type and the Row source in the properties.

Try that

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0
You'll need to do this for each field (response) in the questionnaire.
In Design view in the form, make sure the Control Wizard is turned on, then drag an Option Group control onto the form. The Wizard starts up. You can enter the options for answers (Type No in the first line, then Yes in the second). you'll be asked if you want to store these values in a field or use them later. Select Store these values in a field. Pick the field from the list. Now you'll be asked how you want to see the options. Pick option Buttons and select a style (I tend to used Etched).
Once finished, you can move the frame around and re-size it to suit.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thank you, Anvil & Denis. I tried both suggestions and both worked. I've gone with the checkbox option that Denis suggested because it looks cleaner in the form itself. Thank you again for your assistance!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reelspike

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back