request a new forum

john doe the 3rd

hi guyz @ mr excel,
this board has been really helpfull i have managed to solve 3 of 4 problems within a few days of each other , but most of my time is spent sifting through hundreds ,even thousands of posts trying to find one that covers my problem, im a student and my excel problems are very likely to be much less complicated tha some prblems ive seen posted here! would it be possible to start a student forum, with far less complicated problem so that myself, and im sure a majority of other students could quickly find the solution to the main problems we would face?

just an idea.

thx :)

Just post a question.

We're all here to help regardless of the complexity of the question. :wink:

Smitty

john doe the 3rd said:
would it be possible to start a student forum, with far less complicated problem so that myself, and im sure a majority of other students could quickly find the solution to the main problems we would face?
Three points (in my opinion) about why your idea wouldn't work:

(1)
The questions on this and other boards run the gamut, from easy to complicated, not depending on whether someone is a student but depending on the person's level of Excel expertise and problem they are facing.

(2)
The level of a person's expertise is very often misunderstood by that person. Many people think they are at an advanced or expert level because they know more about Excel than anyone else in their workplace, but when they get onto a world-wide forum where the knowledge bar is set much higher, they find out how relatively little they know. Other people who take for granted that what they know is also known by most other people can be wrong too...meaning, some people are more advanced than they give themselves credit for.

(3)
Take note of Search tips to narrow your search. Operators such as "and", "or", "not" "like" etc. are useful tools.
See search tip guidelines from Google
http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html
and AltaVista
http://www.altavista.com/help/adv_search/syntax
and employ those methods here or any search engine that supports them. You will be pleasantly surprised how efficient the Search tool can be when you utilize its features.

The level of a person's expertise is very often misunderstood by that person. Many people think they are at an advanced or expert level because they know more about Excel than anyone else in their workplace, but when they get onto a world-wide forum where the knowledge bar is set much higher, they find out how relatively little they know.

That would be me. :rolleyes: Everyone I work with thinks I am SOOOO great at Excel, :LOL: and mainly it's just because I know all (?) the shortcuts. But when I start thinking I"m good, all I have to do is come here and it reminds me just how low I really am on the totem pole. :eek: BUT, I've learned a LOT since I was introduced to MrExcel.com 6 months ago, and it's encouraged me to dig deeper and keep learning more. Thanks guys!!! (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjaimes042510

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back