Reports

Fitz

Hi All

Can you design a form, to apply different filters from one query, and print different reports, rather than have one query for each report.

Thanks

Fitz

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
You could,

But why?

Having lots of queries should have little to no negative impact on your database. They take up almost no memory, as they are just stored SQL expressions, maybe a few lines at most.

I see a lot of reluctance to use multiple queries in a db, but I don't think its necessary. If its easier to make one query per button on your form, and have each button print a report based on that button's query, go for it. You should notice no difference between this method and your proposed method. Actually, using a specific query for each report might be faster, since you will be running the simplest possible query for each report, not one cumbersome query designed to do everything.

My 2 cents - pile those queries up. Never delete them, and if you need 20 simple queries or one fancy one, go with the simple 20.

There are, of course, exceptions to this, like a search by form query, for example, where it is easier to have one dynamically generated query produce a set records as opposed to querying a query that queries a query that queries a query (etc) depending on what information the user wishes to search on.

HTH,

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply

I will stay with the many querys.

Do you have an example of a form query.

Thanks

Fitz

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirofa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back