Report Numbering

TheToeOfPooh

Can this be achieved even though the database is opened and closed several times a day?

There are 4 reports (which are generated by queries) produced to show print jobs which are either duplicates or where the printed total is <> the job total.

On the hard copies our Supervisors then sign-off against each occurance.

I am trying to track each report and the corresponding sign-offs.

My idea:
When a report is run a sequential number appears and is printed in the header.
If I then have reports No1-5 returned with No7 I know that one report is outstanding and from the dates & times can back-track it.

Can this be done and if so how?

Bernard

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Hi Bernard

I think this *should* be able to be done but I have not done it myself. I think there might be quite a bit of set-up involved and I'm not convinced there will be 100% integrity. So the following comments are merely my thoughts on this and not really a step-by-step solution (in other words I haven't done it or tried it and have no idea if this will work)

If you create a new table with a report id / number and date/time stamp, you could add a new record to the table each time a report is "printed" (see below re "printed" issues) with a max + 1 append query. I believe you should be able to pull this value through to each report on a text box (not necessarily linked, but it pulls through the greatest value). The max and append queries would run as part of the report printing macro / expression.

However, how would you know when a report is printed and not merely previewed? You wouldn't want to create false records based on a preview. What about if the user prints using Ctrl-P or the printer icon on the toolbar or from the menu such that the macro / expression were not invoked? Could these be disabled - probably, but would you want to?

Another thought - why track the reports? Why not track the incidences instead? In your print job table, how about adding a couple of fields (such as a supervisor name and resolution) - these fields represent the fact a report has been given to that supervisor and the incident is either resolved / unresolved. If the resolution is not forthcoming then another report could be sent to the supervisor perhaps? This way you could track open "incidents" instead of the paper reports.

Just my thoughts - sorry for being vague.

Andrew

Upvote 0
Andrew

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

I am without any support here so any advice like this is very welcome. The "disclaimer" is also appreciated, I will proceed with caution.

I'll post back my results.

Bernard

Upvote 0
The following will provide the solution (from Andrew) which I used.

See Thread headed.
If Time then report number using Now()

Bernard

Upvote 0
Following up with what andrew93 said, this KB Article:

ACC: How to Maintain a Print Log for Reportshttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;154894

will maintain a print log. Then you can use the count and max functions to determine what number to place on the current report.

HTH,
CT

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigvan888

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back