Replicate chart in Power BI to Excel

RockandGrohl

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

In Power BI I have a scatter chart with Project Parameters across the X, Project Cost along the Y, with each scatter chart corresponding to a Project ID. There are effectively two series of data here, for the different type of contract each project can be under, let's call them contract A and contract B.

chart exmaple.png

Here's an example of how the data is laid out:

Project IDParameterCostContract
V123400200000A
V22452040000B
V266559213100A
V4545600265000A
V665412354300B

What I can do in Power BI is set the X to Parameter, the Y to Cost, the Values as Project ID and then finally, by setting the Legend to "Contract" it separates each set of points into its own series with this example having 3 A dots and 2 B dots.

This is the way my central database is laid out. My question is, how do I do this in Excel? With Excel scatter charts, I create a series, but as I can only set a series name & give it X and Y values, there's no way to tell the chart to separate the different types of contract for each Project.

Another thing I'm running in to is that I use slicers linked to the database page so the user can filter the chart to show different types of Projects.

My brain has melted today, can anyone let me know how to do this? The database is refreshed regularly so I can't sit there and select individual values. Thanks

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
The only way I can get something that looks similar to Power BI is to separate the Contract A & Contract B into their own sub-tables, and set the series to reflect the column for each. But that then runs the issue in that I cannot use one slicer to filter both tables to the same project type.

EDIT: Nevermind, I am mistaken. I can have two tables controlled by one slicer... this changes things then.

Upvote 0
Actually, scratch that. While it appears initially that one slicer can filter both tables, it actually can't.

Upvote 0
What I've had to do is take the table generated from Power Query, make a Pivot table from it and use the Contract as the column headers. This creates a separate, dynamically updating column for each contract type which has just the relevant data points in.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back